FOURTEEN

LUYOLO MAYIZA

Life is a mixture of sunshine and rain, teardrops and laughter, pleasure and pain, so they say. This day was supposed to end happy for my wife and I, but things have jinxed. I messed up. I was mesmirised by Yoniswa and I fell for it. My day have turned from sunshine to rain, I don’t even know how to fix it. Lord, why!? I ruined my marriage before it began. Guide me Lord, help me through this.

“Luyolo!” Shit, that is my roaring father. I am not ready for the lecture, I need to find my wife and explain to her what happened. What the hell happened? Man, this shit is fucked up! How will I even explain that I kissed Yoniswa back. Fuck!
Luyolo:”Tata.” I say on a low tune.
Siboniso:”What is it that I hear that you go around kissing girls, on your wedding day?” I guess we had audience. The guests witnessed the kiss, great.
Luyolo:”Tata not now, please.”
Siboniso:”Do you know how embarrassing it is to look at utata ka Ntombenhle in the eye now? You shamed us Luyolo! Suka ecen kwam, uyandi nyanyisa.” (Get off my sight, you are disgusting me.) I let out a heave.

I continue my journey, looking for Enhle. 
“Daddy!” My son cries out. He is actually crying. I meet him halfway and pick him up.
Luyolo:”Mama, I want mama!” He probably must have seen her. He has not seen her for two weeks now.
Lindokuhle:”Sshh. I will take you to mama okay.” I say that, rocking him back and forth until he is calm. My brother walks up to me.
Lubabalo:”Bro, what happened? The Mnisi want a taste of your blood right now.”
Luyolo:”I messed up, big time. uYoniswa was here and it happened that we kissed, Ntombenhle saw that.”
Lubabalo:”You can be reckless, never mind that, but to do it on your wedding day? Luyolo I thought you were having a good thing going on with Ntombenhle.” He scowls me, and that is the last thing I need right now.
Luyolo:”I know man, I don’t need a lecture right now.” I feel my baby weighing on my arms, that’s when I knew that he is asleep.
Siyamthanda:”Man Luu, you are in trouble. The elders are summoning you.”
Luyolo:”Please take my son to my flat and tell Nokuzola to check on him.” I say giving Lindokuhle to Lubabalo before I make my ways to the elders in the hut.

There was my father, mother, Ntombenhle's father, uncle and aunt and my uncle and aunt. Ntombenhle was sitting down on the grass mat facing down. I can tell that she is trying to hold back her tears, I hate that I am the reason to her tears. I greet everyone before I sit down on an empty chair.
Siboniso:”Nyana, usihlazile.” (Son, you have embarrassed us.) I am facing down and I don’t dare to respond.
Busani:”I am very disappointed! You couldn’t even wait for this day only to pass. If you started now to cheat on my daughter, oh boy I don’t even want to know what will happen after this is over, because son I will bury you alive. You don’t mess with the Mnisi.” As much as this guy scares the shit out of me, I never asked for this marriage in the first place. 
I have disappointed them in just a first trial, I have disappointed her. I promised to be with her but guess what I did, I know right? Maybe I am just fooling myself, and I am fooling her too I mean, how big is my heart that it accommodated Ntombenhle on the first day while Yoniswa was also staying in my heart? How was it possible to fall in love with her in just a heart beat? Maybe I hasted my heart, but no. I was pressured into marriage, now things were speeding up, they crashed before it reached the destination. I heave a sigh. How do I even explain the kiss, my only fault was not pulling out there I got lost in the moment. 
Siboniso:”Wa thula kutheni?” (Why are you quiet?) I raise my head up.
Busani:”Udla ngu nyembeta.” (Guilt is eating him up.) He cluck his tongue. “Ubani obe kade eqabulana naye?” (Who were you even kissing?) 
Makazi:”Ngu mama wom'twana wakhe, uYoniswa. The one that this girl here (pointing at Enhle, pulling a nasty face) took Luyolo from.” (She is the mother of his child.) I clicked my tongue.
Luyolo:”Ntombenhle! That is her name!” I roar at her.
Siboniso:”Luyolo!” He shouts.
Luyolo:”No tata! She needs to respect my wife! She is busy plotting with Yoniswa behind my back!” I shout back.
ENHLE’S auntie:”Says the same man who could not respect his own wife on their wedding day! Bekumnandsi neh, feeding each other’s tongues” Ouch, I guess I deserve that.
Siboniso:”Thulani!” (Quiet!) The room immediately goes quiet for a minute. The silence is too loud for my liking.
Luyolo:”Ndicela uxolo.” (I would like to apologise.) I honestly and humbly say. “I would like to apologise to you Mama, nawe tata for shaming you. I would like to apologise to the Mnisi family for disrespecting you. And to my wife, I disappointed you. I broke my promise and I am truly regretting it and just so you know, it was not my intention to hurt you. I know I have issues to fix but I am sure I want to be with you. I love you, yes I do.” She slightly raised her head but quickly faced back down again, and I just knew it right there that, there is still hope.
Luyolo:”Please do forgive me for my behaviour. I want us to work.”

NARRATOR

The two families mended things between them. Ntombenhle has forgiven Luyolo and they were happy. The family did the utsiki ritual for the Mayiza Juniors. uTsiki is the ritual in the Xhosa tradition where the bride has to eat a goat and also drink amasi (Sour milk) from the groom’s family in which she is married to. Ntombenhle was given a Xhosa name by the groom and they will now call her, Khanyisile which means light.

After a long joyful day, Everyone was now leaving, going to their perspective homes. Mr and Mrs Mayiza Juniors were going to spend a week in Bisho so that Ntombenhle can fulfill her wife duties. Everyone seemed happy, even Makazi who became very welcoming to Ntombenhle but, you will never know with that one. She can change in an instant. Zozibini was just in a foul mood but had on a mask to fake it. A lot had been going on through her mind, but it was a busy day today for anyone to notice that.

Luyolo was strutting besides Ntombenhle, holding hands to their flat, Luyolo stopped in front of Ntombenhle and held her waist.
Luyolo:”Even in amadaki (Xhosa attire), you looking very sexy. I think even when we return to Joburg, you should continue wearing them.” 
Ntombenhle:”Thank you for the compliment but, I think you should rather take a picture, it will last longer because, I cannot wait to take them off.”
Luyolo:”I feel seduced. Would you like me to help you take them off, Mrs Me?” 
Ntombenhle:”Easy tiger, don’t get over yourself, yet.” 
Luyolo:”I’m a man baby, I get too excited.” He grins.
Ntombenhle:”Well, I am tired right now and feel like taking a long warm bath.”
Luyolo:”Can I join you?” Ntombenhle gasps
Ntombenhle:”Uh-uh…” She says that pulling herself away from Luyolo and runs off towards the flat.
Luyolo:”Oh yes!” He runs after her but quickly caught up with her which made her change directions to the flat. Their giggles were filling the entire yard like those of siblings… Wait, they are siblings. They just don’t know it yet.
Ntombenhle:”Luyolo please, I am tired.” She was laughing and running at the same time, but Luyolo kept on chasing her. 
Luyolo:”Wait then!” He finally caught her as she was slowing down. They were breathing heavily from running and giggling.

Luyolo picked her up and put her on her shoulder before he span her around. She was screaming in pleasure.
Ntombenhle:”Put me down Yolo!” As soon as he put her down, sounds of gunshots were being fired around the area. They were very close. Ntombenhle was very scared looking around and as soon as she turned to Luyolo, she saw him slowly falling down, blood dripping from his chest, above his right tit. Ntombenhle screamed and her eyes were filled out with the tears.
Ntombenhle:”Please Yolo, don’t do this please. Don’t die on me. Please help!” She screams for help.
Luyolo’s father came rushing and picked up Luyolo without asking too many questions. They rushed off to his car. Ntombenhle followed behind and they got in the car, together with Zozibini. Ntombenhle was a crying mess. Whilst on the way, Siboniso ordered Zozibini to make a call at the hospital to one of their contacts, and tell them to expect them.

Just as soon as they arrived, they did not waist time, Luyolo was taken to the theater for immediate operation. Ntombenhle was pacing up and down, and was very impatient.
Siboniso:”Ntombenhle, what happened? How did they shoot him? Did you see their faces?” Ntombenhle wipes her tears with the back of her hand and shakes her head.
Ntombenhle:”Everything happened so fast baba, I am not sure.” Siboniso pulled her into his embrace and brushed his hand on Ntombenhle's hair.
Siboniso:”He will pull through baby, he is strong.” Zozibini was looking at them all the time, not saying anything. She stood up.
Zozibini:”Excuse me.” No one gave her attention nor even heard her. She went out to the cafeteria and sat on the bench and sobbed all alone.