THIRTY-FIVE

LUYOLO MAYIZA

I was busy in the study room going through the file of the information that I requested for from Siyamthanda’s PI, it came in just four hours later through email right after I requested. This man introduced himself to me as a Willem but, he uses Martinez as his last name. How did I not see this coming?

My phone rang as I was busy reading, it was somewhere but, I couldn’t reach it until it stopped ringing, then rang again, I found it on the couch and I answered as soon as I could, I cannot afford to lose a phone call, not when my wife is missing. We took out a ransom of a hundred thousand Rand to anyone who gives us any lead to where my wife is but, most of them are chancers.

After answering the call and as soon as I heard her voice, I froze for a second and I wanted to cry, I was going to break down on her but, I had to be strong for her, she needs me and my strength.

“Who are you talking to?' I just knew at that moment that, my wife is in trouble.
“Khanyisile, I am coming to fetch you, hold on for a little while can you do that for me?” I swear if that man touches my wife, he is going to meet his ancestors sooner than later. Just then, I heard the phone breaking or something, shit, I have to move quicker.

I removed the big portrait on the wall, my safe is just behind it. I entered the password before taking my hand gun and the bullets.

“Luyolo, wenza’ ntoni?” (What are you doing?) Is it not that obvious that I am loading my gun? He fully walks in and closes the door.
“I hope that you are not going to do anything stupid.”
“Dad, acting stupid is the only way that I could come back with my wife.” I breathe out fire.
“Do you know where she is? Do you know who has her?” I tuck the on my pants on my waist.
“She called me and I already have an idea where she could be.” I toss the file towards him. “I cannot waste anymore time.” I walk towards the door.
“She called you? Is she safe?” My dad will make me angry with all those questions, I better leave before I lose my temper. “Luyolo, call the police!”
“Dad, you want me to call the same police that had me handcuffed because they believed that I did something to her? Not even once did they give us a feedback on the case, they missed a piece on the CCTV footage that I had to find it for myself that gave me an idea of the person that has my wife so, excuse me for what I am about to do!”

I dial Siyamthanda’s number as I walk down the stairs, I am getting my wife back, come hell fire or high water I am coming back with my wife!

***

SIBONISO MAYIZA

I dial Nomathemba's number, she answers on the go.

“Mamakhe.” (Her mother.)
“Yebo babakhe.” (Yes, her dad.) Wow, it melts my heart to hear her call me like that, she has finally accepted that, I am the father of Ntombenhle.
“How are you?” She breathes heavily.
“I am still alive, how are you Niso?” I smile like a fool.
“I am well. I don’t want to raise your hopes high but, I think our daughter will be coming back home.” She gasps.
“Please, ungadlali kabi, Siboniso!” She breaks down.
“Luyolo is going to find her, let’s hope it never goes in vain.”
“I, I have to go, thank you.” She mumbles before hanging up.

I make my way downstairs and I find my wife with the police officers.

“Tata, I was about to call you, where is Luyolo?” I clear my throat.
“Detective Chabedi, is the anything that we can help you with?” I ask as I approach them to where they are standing.
“Mr Mayiza, we are looking for your son. We need him to come and confirm something at the station about the disappearance of his wife.” I laugh at them, my wife looks at me confused, the officers look perplexed.
“Phumani!” (Out!) I shout.
“But sir, we are doing our job.” Chabedi defends.
“Our job yokunuka! My son is out there bringing my daughter b…” Oops. “My daughter in-law back home and you still accusing him for kidnapping his own wife! Fuck off!” I roar at him.
“Wait, are you saying that you found the culprit behind the disappearance of your son’s wife? Where is Luyolo? You better tell me or I will arrest you and your son.” I smirk, bitterly.
“With pleasure! I am going to need to talk to your station commander on top of that. You were too focused on one suspect, only one and you call yourself a detective?” I hand him the file. “Everything that you need to know is in there.” I can tell he is breathing fire.
“You took this matter into your hands?” I shrug.
“I wonder how you became a detective. Uyisilima!” (You are dumb!)
“Uh, constable, call the drone, we need it to this address, right now.”
“Wait, a drone? What do you need it for?”
“It will keep an eye on the suspect, don’t worry, he won’t even know that it is there, he won’t hear it. Is your son armed?”
“He is. And you will do nothing about it.” He sighs.
“Constable, let’s go. We have no time.” I also take Luyolo’s car keys, I can tell that my wife is angry, probably because I didn’t tell her about Luyolo finding his wife but, I also found not so long ago.
“Siboniso, where are you going?” See, she is mad she even calls me by name.
“I am following them.”
“I am coming with.”

***

I found my wife in the balcony of our room on the crying phone, and as soon as she noticed my presence, she bid goodbye to the person on the line.

“Who was that?” I ask as I put my hands on either side of her shoulders. She looks down to our shoes.
“Uhm, baba. It was uSiboniso.” This I news to me. My wife and Siboniso are keeping contact of each other?
“Oh? What was he saying?”
“Ntombenhle might be coming back home tonight.” I narrow my eyes.
“Why is Siboniso calling you, not me?” Her body tenses up, I remove my hands because, I know she is about to lie. I have been married to this woman for so many years now, I know her when she is lying and when she is telling the truth and right now, I choose to believe the latter.
“Uhm, well… He could not reach you over the phone so, he called me.” I nod. I take out my phone from the pocket in my pants, no missed calls, no sign that he called.

I dial his number and call him.

“Hey man.” He says after answering.
“Siboniso. My wife here tells me that my daughter might be coming back home, why didn’t you call me? What is happening?”
“Oh Eish… yeah man, I was going to call you.”
“What am I missing? Where is my daughter?” I ask trying to ignore what he said.
“Luyolo has long left to find her. We are just following behind the police to the address.” I chuckle bitterly.
“And I know nothing about this? When were you planning to tell me? Know what, send the address, right now!” I hang up. This is unbelievable!
“Stay here, ngiyabuya.” (I will be right back.) I order my wife.
“Kodwa baba.” (But...) I give her a deadly stare, she looks down. My phone beeps, Siboniso has not the address. I get my car keys and disappear.