THIRTY-FOUR

CLAYTON MARTINEZ

I don’t understand why I always have to look for my woman every time I get home from work, she always hides from me, especially in the basement, but I always find her anyway.

After throwing my blazer on the couch, I go down to the basement.

“Sweetie, hubby is home!” I shout as I open the door to the basement.
“There you are! Sweetie, why are you laying on the floor?” She looks cold and shivery, and it fucking smells in here.
“Sweetie, come on get up.” I feel her pulse, it is shallow and she is hardly moving.

I look across the room on the floor, it looks like she vomited and it is very disgusting.

“You woman! You messed up on my floor. Now who is supposed to clean that, tell me!” I drag her up the stairs, gripping my arms under her armpits.
“You even stink woman, when last did you take a shower or even better, swim in a bath tub?”

I continue dragging her to the bathroom and push her into the shower and open the faucet to let the water run on her.

“You better be done when I come back!” I close the shower door and leave her lying in there.

***

NTOMBENHLE MAYIZA

He left me lying helpless on the mosaic tile in the shower with the water running on me, I have no strength left within me, I think I am going to die. What kind of a man leaves a woman without food for two days, two fucking days with water.

I lift my body up a little and turn my face direct to the faucet and open my mouth for the water to go through into my mouth, for someone who has been thirst and longing for water all day, I didn’t find it hard to swallow the shower water through.

I really think that Clayton has a mental disorder. He has been locking me up in the basement every morning when he goes to working and what freaks me out the most is that, whenever he gets back, he acts surprised to find me in the basement and he would ask: “Honey, what are you doing down there, were you looking for something?”, like this dude, left me down there in a pungent smelling room without food and water. If I leave this place alive, I will know that, my ancestors are with me, not to forget God.

I managed to find some strength after drinking the cold water from the faucet, it honestly felt good for someone who's been feeling dehydrated for too long. I had to take off the wet pajamas because, this sick man threw me into the shower with the only piece of clothing that I have been wearing since like, forever! My vagina is itching so bad and, it reeks of a bad odor, I hope this is not some sort of 'not bathing' infection… No, I cannot have any infections, I am pregnant for God’s sake!

***

I am wearing his robe and his huge flip flops. I saunter to the living room and I find him sitting on the one sitter couch drinking what I think is brandy. He shoots his eyes on me as I sit on the opposite couch. I don’t even recognise the man in front of me, he is a total stranger.

“Uh…” I clear my throat. “You, you look tired.” I look down because his eyes are making me uncomfortable. I move to the couch next to where he is sitting, it’s either now or never.
“Would you Uhm, perhaps like a massage?” I don’t even wait get an answer. I just stand up and stand behind him and start massaging his shoulders gently. Mind you I am quite weak but hey, this is not the time to feel weak!
“Oh yes, this feel-oh sweetie go a bit lower.” I get t him where I want him.
“Don’t you want to lie down so I can do it proper, just like the good old times?” I say seductively, he smirks.
“I like the way you think, come.” He takes his phone from the coffee table and pulls me gently leading the way upstairs to his room.

I feel like I am going to faint but, I keep my self stronger, I have to do it for my baby.

We finally arrive at his room after what seemed like forever, I feel very dizzy.

“I will wait for you in bed.” I say as I staggered to the bed.
“Are you okay?” I give him an assuring smile with a nod. He puts his phone on the pedestal and takes off his shirt.

He comes to the bed and lies down with his stomach; I perch myself on his butt, fuck my vagina burns… I need medical attention ASAP, I am not even wearing anything under the robe.

“I am sorry for locking up you down there, Sweetie.” It was very inconsiderate of him but, okay that is not the point. It doesn’t even bother him that I didn’t eat? Anyway, I continue giving him a back massage, he starts yawning that is when I know that, I am doing it right.
“You have magic hands Enhle, continue doing it- oh yes right there.” I am hoping that this does not end with him wanting to have sex with him, it used to happen a lot back then.

A few minutes later, his body is relaxed and his breathing is just normal. I sigh in relief.

“Clay…” I clear my throat so I can be audible enough. “Clayton?” He is not responding.

I slowly get off him and off the bed too. I take his phone and tip toe out of the room and stand where the corridor ends. Shit, the phone needs the password and I have five trials.

I have tried his name, date of birth, last four digits of his number, his address and they are all just wrong passwords. I am now giving it my last shot, I am not sure about it but, it is worth a try.

“Okay, here we go.” I type in the password with my toes crossed and as soon as it unlocked, I swear I wanted to cry. So, he made ENHLE my name his password, this is absolutely obsession.

Anyway, without wasting anymore time, I dial my husband’s number, it rings a few times until it stops. I can’t stop my tears from bashing out from my eyes. I am missing for God’s sake his phone should always be with him on his hand!

“Pick up the damn phone!” I held my mouth after saying that out loud. I redial his number and call him again and this time, he answers after three freaking rings.
“Talk!” Wow!
“What the hell Luyolo, I a missing and you don’t answer your phone, what were you doing, with who?” I break down, but not too loud.
“Khanyisile, baby?” He breathes heavily. “Mrs me, is that you?” I think he is going to cry, he sounds sad.
“KHANYISILE!” He startles me. “Mrs Me, talk to me, where are you and I will come and fetch you, right now, are you okay there?” I have a lump growing on my throat, blocking me from speaking, I let it out trying so hard not to scream.
“Luu, I am scared I want to come back home. I am at…”

“Who are you talking to?” He talks from behind my back, I slowly turn to him and boy oh boy, he has a look that would kill me in seconds. I shake my head as he charges towards me, I drop the phone and move backwards until I am against the wall, I close my eyes as I am wearing for my life.