FORTY-FOUR

LUYOLO MAYIZA

I am lying on this cold cement bench with my right leg up and my hand behind my head looking up the ceiling. I am locked up in the holding cell at the police station... I got arrested for drunk and driving last night and I know, once my wife finds out, she is going to kill me. I was given Only one phone call to make and I used it wisely to call Siyamthanda to bail me out and as always, he takes his sweet time to get here.

"Sikuphi isiboshwa? I want to see for myself if it is really him!" (Where is he?) Argh, it is that annoying cop, detective Chabedi. He stands outside the bars looking at me with a grin like he just achieved his goal. I roll my eyes... Don't look at me like that, my wife does it a lot so you would understand if you lived with someone like her.

"I couldn't believe when they told me that they threw you inside the van last night, where was I Mara? I wanted to watch you and take pictures of you." He cackles. I decide to keep quiet.

"Oh, the cat got your tongue? The mighty Mayiza Junior behind bars. What do you think, the people will like the title right?" He chuckles, I join him but my chuckle turns into a laugh.

"What are you laughing at, Mayiza?" I sit up right. Fuck my head is spinning, damn how much did I drink last night. I hold my head. "Yeah Mayiza JR, that is what happens when you have too much to drink.

"Mayiza! You are free to go." Another police officer comes followed by Siyamthanda. He opens gate for me to come out, I stagger out holding my head. This stupid detective Chabedi grabs the keys and hit them against the steel bars making a noise as he laughs, I smile at him.

"You fail to solve big cases yet you are here rejoicing on pity crimes that you didn't even get to solve." I cluck my tongue and move him out of my way.

"Dude, what the hell? You know, Mrs Me has been calling me the whole night asking about your whereabouts?"

"I hope you didn't tell her that I was held here." I sign for my things before we walk out of the station.

"I hate lying to her dude because I end up in the crossfire between you too and you know that your wife is crazy and since she is pregnant, she spits fire." I shake my head trying to act like I am not afraid of going home. My wife is probably waiting to tell me where to get off.

"Eish, keep it down kwedini." He cluck his tongue.

"You telling me that? Wait till you get home to your wife and I hope that she never miss your head this time when she throws the vas at you. Since when do you get drunk during the week to even land up in the cells, pleasing detective Chabedi?" I sigh.

"I'll meet you at home." I have no energy for this, honestly. I need a good bath and a peaceful sleep. Work is out of the question today.

"Huh-uh, andizi!" (I am not coming!) He shakes his head. "I don't want to be roasted by Khanyisile, sorry dude you are alone. You chose not to call me last night to go clubbing with you so, bye." I chuckle.

"Fine. And, I don't ever want to hear you calling my wife your wife. In fact, don't ever set your foot at my house." He smirks.

"I will think about it." He gets in his car, I jump into mine. Siyamthanda hoots at me before he drives off, I return it back and drive to the main road leading to my house.

***

It is past seven in the morning when I arrive at home. I find Mam' Gloria in the living room tidying up My son's toys which he might have left there last night.

"Mam' Gloria." She stops with what she was doing and stares at me maybe looking at how shitty I look.

"Good morning, sir." The elevator opens and I walk in. I feel Mam' Gloria's eyes piercing on me but, I don't care. She is here to do her job and mind her own damn business well, that's if she doesn't want to get fired.

After a few seconds, I walk out from the elevator heading to the bedroom. I don't even waste anymore time, I just strip off my clothes an leave them on the floor going to the bathroom. I find my wife drying her hair with a towel, she only give me one murderous look then continues doing what she was doing.

"Good morning." I hold her waist, she wiggles my hands off, not greeting me back. "Baby..."