FORTY-TWO

LUYOLO MAYIZA

Seeing my father yesterday at the hotel made me wonder why he preferred paying for accommodation when there are plenty of rooms in my house. We didn't get to talk because he was "rushing" to a meeting so, I guess I will see him later on today.

"Mr Me, I am done. We can leave." It feels good to be back home, waking up next to my wife is the best feeling. I got my old wife back.
"Right, let's go before Lindokuhle wakes up. I don't want him crying to go with us to work, he needs to get used to staying with the nanny."
"Is she here yet?"
"Yes, both the helper and the nanny are here." She chuckles. "What?"
"Baby do you even know their names? I mean, you hired them so you should know them" I shrug.
"I forgot them but, it is not important right? I mean, you know them enough for the both of us."
"Wrong! The helper is Mam' Gloria and the nanny is aunt' Winnie." I smile at her.
"Look at you, sounding very respectful." We reach the last step of the stairs after what felt like forever, my wife is moving very slow these days, I cannot imagine where we will be in the next few months of our pregnancy.

"Good morning Khanyi, sir. Breakfast is ready." The helper... I mean Mam' Gloria says.
"Thank you Mam' Gloria." I say. She heads upstairs probably to start cleaning there and also giving us privacy.

I open the chair for my wife to sit before I sit next to her.

"I was thinking sthandwa sam." She toss the bacon into her mouth and chews.
"Yes?"
"How about we get away, just the two of us?" I hold her free hand. "We need it, especially after what we both went through in just three months. Remember we once talked about going to a honeymoon? Let's do it now, let's take the whole week to ourselves and forget about what transpired in the last few weeks." She has this wide smile on her face.
"Of course baby Oh My Gosh! I need to do shopping for the beach and..." She frowns and tears fill her eyes, I frown too.
"Baby, what is it now?" She blinks her eyes and the bloody tears fall, Damnit! "Baby, please don't cry, It hurts me and makes me feel otherwise."
"I am pregnant..."
"Yes, we are honey."
"And fat." She sobs. Jeez, this pregnancy has turned my wife into a fragile cry baby. I wipe her tears and peck her lips.
"So what? I love you my love."
"So you agree that I am fat?" Thixo bawo, ndendze ntoni ke ngok? (Father Lord, what have I gotten myself into.) I am saved by my phone ringing. I give her another kiss before I answer my phone.

"Tata." (Dad)
"Hello son, how are you?"
"I am very well and you?" He sighs and I know that he is not okay.
"I am okay. What time do you think that you can make it to the hotel?" What is this about now.
"After my lunch meeting, I will probably get there at around three or I can come there right after knock off time because my wife and I are traveling in the same car. Maybe half past five latest after dropping her off?"
"Perfect. I will send you my room number at the hotel, See you later then." He hung up.

"You dad is in town?"
"Yeah, I wouldn't have known if I didn't bump into him yesterday at the hotel. Are you done, we should get going.
"We may leave."

***

SIBONISO MAYIZA

As soon as Nomathemba sent me a text message alerting me that her husband has gone to work already, I drove down to their house with the car that I am renting and parked on the driveway. I send her a message telling her that I am outside, she comes out after some time and jumps into the car.

"Good morning." She greets as soon as she is settled, I drive off.
"Did you sleep well?"
"Yes, thank you." I nod.
"You look nervous." She gives me a side look then looks back to the road. "Its going to be fine mama."
"We don't know that, I fear for my baby's life. I am gambling with it."
"We are going to make things right now aren't we?" She shakes her head.
"We don't know what the seer is going to say. Anything is possible." I sigh and just quieted until we reach our destination at the seer's house.