THIRTY

SIBONISO MAYIZA

What is the universe doing to me, to my family? I have just reunited with my daughter but, it feels like we are not bound for that. Seeing my son this miserable it is breaking me, it breaks me even more that, my son is broken because, her wife is missing. The wife who happens to be my daughter, my daughter who is his sister. This is tearing me apart because right now, I feel helpless. Who is doing this, what do they want from my family? I can’t lose any of them, I cannot lose my daughter, again.

It’s been two days since Lindokuhle got admitted and Ntombenhle being aducted. My son has been shit because, it even came to a point where Busani got physical on my son but, later apologised. So, now we are working together on finding out, who did this but, we currently have no leads we don’t even know who to think of.

I walk into my son’s room, the aluminium sliding door to the balcony is open, I am assuming that he is out there. The bedroom is quite a mess like a hurricane erupted in here, the bed is not even done yet, this is not good.

“Luyolo.” I touch his shoulder from behind, he doesn’t move nor talk but look at the amazing view of the city. We stay in silence for a few minutes until he decides to talk.

“My son is booked for radiotherapy this Wednesday.” I sigh. I know that he is scared but, it is best.

“That is good.” 

“Only if my wife was here.” 

“She will come back, she has to come back.”  We need to have faith.

“It will take forever.” 

“Are you losing hope?” 

“No, I am just saying that, without a lead it gets harder everyday.” He breathes out.

“I understand.” He chuckles shaking his head.

“You don’t tata, you don’t know how it feels like to wake up to an empty bed everyday. In just a period of two months, I fell deeply in love with the stranger that I met on our wedding day and now, it feels cold and empty without her, I don’t want lose her…”

This is hard for me to listen to, I don’t want to lie. Both my children being intimate kills me.

“You won’t, we will find her.” We fall into a complete silence and stare at the city. 

“I need to get to the hospital.” He says after a while.

“You just got back, have some rest son, you look drenched.” He looks like he hadn’t slept for days.

“I am good, my son needs me.” I sigh.

“At least have breakfast then.” 

“How do I eat not knowing if my wife is eating wherever she is?” He leaves me walking back to his room, I follow him only to find the bedroom cleaned, he looks at me.