TWELVE

NARRATOR

Bisho is a village with not so many homes. The neighbours are very distant from each other. So if you lived alone and you get robbed, it is very unfortunate that you might not get help on time because, there is a very low chance that you might be heard even if you scream. That is the disadvantage about this village. The advantage about it is that, you get your privacy, and also in times like this, we do not get the neighbours coming in and out telling us about the noise that we make because they are trying to sleep, unlike in the cities where police get involved. It is safe to say that, this place tranquil. It is really a peace of mind.

“Ntab'ezikude we ma (Ntab’ezikude we ma)
Zing'sithela wena (zing’sithela wena)
Ntab’ezikude we ma (Ntab’ezikude we ma)
Zing’sithela wena (Zing’sithela wena)…” 
That’s the family of the bride singing outside the gate.

“Sikulandile, woza woza sikulandile
Makoti (Woza Makoti)
Sikulandile, woza woza sikulandile
Makoti (Woza Makoti)
Sikulandile Makoti (Woza Makoti)
Sikulandile Makoti…”
That is the Mayiza family singing at the same time as the bride’s family.

The gate is still closed. One of the Mayiza uncles comes holding the sorghum beer, umqombothi. He was chanting and reciting the Mayiza clan names and he spilt the beer on the ground.
Uncle:”Camagu!” 
The crowd:”Camagu”
“Baba nomzane, uyeye
Sivulele singene
Baba nomzane, uyeye
Sivulele singene”
The Bride’s family was singing and dancing waiting for the Mayiza family to open the gate, in fact, that is what the song means. The Mayiza uncle finally gets the gate opened. The bride's family coming in their yard singing and dancing.
“Sangena sangena, iyoo
Sangena phakathi, iyoo
Sangena sangena, iyoo 
Sangena phakathi.”
The bride’s family got into the big yard singing and dancing together with the Mayiza family. They formed a big opened circle as the Mayiza family were standing on one side, so were the Mnisi family.

The two families were exchange gifts, but the gift had to be accompanied by a song. It was time for Ntombi to gift her in-laws. She covered her mother in-law with a mink blanket, wrapped her head with a doek (head wrap) and gifted her with a brand new foot massager. She also gifted her father in-law nge dondolo (a walking stick), a hat, a jacket and a bottle of the most expensive whiskey. Now it was time for her to present to the family how she will take care of her husband. 
She sang as the crowd helped her.

The crowd joined her by singing the song as she walked to her husband with the rhythm of the song. She took his hand and they went in the middle of the circle and gave a one minute show of dancing before she helped her husband sit on the chair. Everything that she needed was already placed next to her.
Luyolo:”Finally. I got the chance to be with you my Swati Princess. You look so beautiful.” Ntombi gives him a broad smile as she was smearing the toothpaste on the toothbrush.
Ntombi:”Ngiyabonga. You look handsome yourself in that my Xhosa Prince. Now open your mouth widely.” With that said, she placed the toothbrush in Luyolo’s mouth and started brushing his teeth. He kissed her cheek living the toothpaste stamped on her cheek, making the crowd laugh. 
Ntombenhle:”You are going to be a problem.”
There was a small sink filled with hot water which was now lukewarm. Ntombi took a cloth and damped it in the water before she started cleaning Luyolo’s face arms and feet and applied lotion on him afterwards. 
Ntombenhle:”Now come. I’ve made you a bed to sleep.” There was a mattress with a pillow and a blanket.
Luyolo:”I will sleep only if you join me.” Ntombenhle laughed at him.
Ntombenhle:”Usile ke.” (You being silly.) Ntombenhle prepared the mattress for Luyolo to sleep. Just as she was about to put the blanket on him, he pulled her and she fell on top of him. The crowd laughed at Luyolo’s stunt.
Ntombenhle:”Behave Yolo!” She said that giggling.
Luyolo:”Ndiku funa ecen kwami tog, kuyabanda apha.” (I need you next to me. It is cold.) He smirks.