THIRTY-SEVEN

LUYOLO MAYIZA

It has been a dragging two months of my life, my wife is not making it any better for me. She has disorientated herself from reality if I must say, she has not been herself since after the incident that has happened two months ago… She does not go to work or anywhere else. This is all Clayton’s fault! I should have just shot his head and killed him but, to someone who has a disorder like him I had a little mercy on him, not because I felt sorry for him but, I want to see him suffer to what he put my family through. He is locked up in an institute, I hope that he makes friends in there because, he is going to spend a lot of time in there.

My wife was dehydrated, weak and not stable. The police arrived pretty much later when Siyamthanda carried my wife to his car to head to rush her to the hospital. I also hoped in his car because, I was not in a state to drive as I was injured.

On the next day my son was being discharged from the hospital whilst my wife was admitted the previous night. I have spent days there with her until she was discharged. And now that she is back home, she has turned into a worst ticking time bomb she just explodes very unnecessary. It is probably the pregnancy hormones, you can never know with woman.

I had to make sure that, when my wife gets back home, she comes back to a clear and refreshing environment, I had to tell Yoniswa to leave my house my wife is in so much distress and she needed not more added to it. Lindokuhle, my son is now living with us and he is healing much faster than I thought, the problem about him is that, he refuses to eat and we have to force the food down his throat.

My parents left a few days after my wife was discharged from the hospital, it was great having them around, giving us so much support especially my father, he seemed to cared most than my mother who was just neutral I sometimes did not understand her behaviour. I ended up telling the family about the pregnancy, my father almost had a heart attach and Khanyisile's mother could not breathe, I guess happiness comes in some weird way.

“Hey. Lunch is ready.” My wife standing from the door of my study room, bringing me back to reality.
“Oh, is it lunch time already? I'll be there.” She disappears from the door. We hardly talk like before, no matter how much I try to make conversation with her, she doesn’t want to budge. She’d rather fake a smile, give me one word answers or nod to whatever I say to her, we don’t even get intimate anymore okay, that I can understand because, she had infection on her pudenda. Pudenda? Who still calls a vagina a pudenda? Psss…

I find no one at the living room, not even in the kitchen. The sliding door leading to the patio is open; I walk out through it and find my wife and I Lindokuhle chilling by the pool side having lunch while Lindokuhle is saying something, something that makes my wife laugh so hard, the laugh I last saw before Clayton came into the picture.

“Daddy!” My wife turns to look at where Lindo is facing.
“Your food. Come and join us.” I smile as she Pat’s the cushion next to her. They made a little picnic, before I sit I open up my phone for a camera and take a few pictures of them. This! My little family!
“But, you are not in the picture!” My wife shouts. “Make it a selfie so that we can all be in the picture.” She pulls Lindokuhle to her and kiss her all over his face, making Lindokuhle giggle. I am trying to hard not to read too much into her behaviour right now, I feel like she is masking everything up, just to hide her true feelings away from me.
“Baby, I almost forgot how you daddy sometimes take ugly selfies, look at how he is holding the phone.” I chuckle and hand her my phone. I sit next to them as she snaps a couple of photos.
“Are you satisfied now?” She smiles.
“Yeah!” She eats her…
“What in the hell is that?” I don’t understand what she is eating?
“It is iNkomazi, Nutella and mayonnaise. You want some?” She says carelessly. I am not sure on whether to say yes or no, this woman can cry on anything wrong I say.
“Maybe next time. I will just have the burgers you made, thank you for lunch.” She shrugs. It really looks nasty but, I won’t tell her.
“Daddy, I want to go to school like other children.” Oh my boy.
“You don’t like being home, buddy?” He shakes his head. “Okay, you will go to school. But, only if you finish your burger and all other food that we feed you.” He frowns.
“But daddy, I am full.”
“How are you going to attend a kindergarten if you don’t finish your food?” He doesn’t say anything anymore.