FORTY-NINE

NARRATOR

Luyolo was trying to calm the situation by pouring water around the house. He had already called the emergency services. When the smoke was too much for him, he ran to the basement panting. After closing the door, he almost fainted to what appeared in front of him. Lindokuhle has a weak system in his body since from the cancer he had, he is finding it very difficult to breathe. His wife, shame poor wife who has been through so much when her pregnancy started and now this. Her skirt was filled with blood. Luyolo put his hands on his head as his eyes burnt from the tears, well more from the smoke filled in the house.

“Luuuu…” Ntombenhle cried. Luyolo didn’t know what to do. He was broken. He staggered with his wobbly legs to them. “I’m in pains.” Luyolo still didn’t know what to say.
“Help is on it’s way. Breathe my love.” He says as takes Lindokuhle into his arms. “Stay with mommy and daddy son. Don’t do this to me.” He lays him on the bed and attends his wife. “Can you get up from the chair? Do you need to lie down on the bed?”
“No! Luu my I probably lost my babies.” She cries and let’s out a pitch hitching sound of agony.
“Baby… The sneaking around that I was doing this week.” He tries to make up a conversation so that Ntombenhle does not have to think much about the pain. He goes on and tells her about the private calls, deleted call logs and messages and of course the baby showers. He also goes and checks on Lindokuhle who’s heart was very faint. This was very hard for all of them. The smoke was now starting to sneak into the tiny little holes in the basement.

***

On the other side at the Mnisi Residents, Mbalenhle I trying so hard to get hold of Luyolo but his phone goes straight to voicemail. The guests have already arrived and bought lots of expensive gifts for Ntombenhle’s baby showers. All they are waiting for now is the mommy to be to arrive.

“Ma, I still can’t get hold of them. Enhle's phone rings unanswered and Luyolo’s phone is off. I think I will go there.” Mbalenhle tells her mother.
“Okay, let me tell your father to go with you. Something is wrong, I can feel it.”
A few minutes later, Mbalenhle and Busani were driving to Luyolo’s house. On the way, Mbalenhle still kept on trying to call Ntombenhle but, it was all in vain.
“I swear if that Mayiza boy did something to my daughter, I am going to kill him.” Busani grits his teeth.

He hits the brakes hard as he arrives same time as the emergency services; the police, fire extinguisher and two ambulances. People just standing on the street watching the house being flamed instead of getting buckets of water to stop the fire. But what can we say, everyone minds their own business in the suburbs and turn a blind eye.

“No, no, no!” Mbalenhle screamed getting off the car. “Not my sister, No!” She opened the door and then jumped out of the car running to the burning house, Busani ran after her to stop her. He held her so tight that they sank to the ground with tears streaming down their faces.
“Uh, excuse me, I am Detective Johnston. Is this your property?” Busani tried getting both him and Mbalenhle on their feet. The fire brigades are extinguishing the fire to make the entrance clear so that the can go in. Luyolo had told them that, there is a basement in the house so, that is where they will find them.
“Detective. My pregnant daughter, my grandson and my daughter’s husband live here. They are probably in there as we speak.”
“Do you perhaps insinuate anything about the start up of the fire?”
“We just got here!” Mbalenhle shouts at the detective.
“Of course. Sorry for being insensitive.” He walked away.

Busani called his wife to let her know what transpired and also to tell the guests there that the baby showers are not happening. A few minutes later, a fire brigade came out from the house that was filled with grey thick smoke. He shouted: “one late pregnant woman and a man with a toddler!”

The press media was already there taking pictures and videos while taking statements. The paramedics went in with two stretchers and oxygen masks. They first took Lindokuhle before taking Ntombenhle on to the stretcher before they wheeled them both out. Luyolo was not breathing normal but he was trying to be strong for his wife and his son.

“Sir, you need to wear the oxygen mask.” One of the paramedics said to Luyolo.
“I don’t need that! My wife and son are loosing their breaths, they need help more than I!” He keeps coughing as he follows them outside. He holds his wife’s hand.

When Mbalenhle saw them coming out from the house.

“Baba, there they are!”

Luyolo followed his wife to the ambulance.

“Sthandwa Sami, be strong. I love you so much okay, I will meet you at the hospital.” Ntombenhle flinces in pain or contractions rather on her stomach. They close the ambulance door and then runs off to the other where his son is at and then hops in. “Is he going to be okay? Please help my son, please!”

The paramedic sighed as he looked at Lindokuhle who’s heart is slowly dying. The ambulances followed each other out of the premises to the hospital, followed by Busani driving with Mbalenhle.

“I am trying the best I can. He had inhaled a lot of smoke and…”
“I don’t want you to try, dammit. I want you to do your best! I pay a lot at that fancy hospital of yours.” He shouts in a whisper. He looks at his son and holds his face. “Buddy. Daddy promised you so much, don’t leave daddy. You were very excited to go to crèche thinking that it is Kindergarten. Stay with daddy and I will take you to Kindergarten.” His tears fall stream down his face as his son's eyes roll to the back.
“Lindo!”
“Sir, please allow me to do my job.” The paramedic tries to remove Luyolo from Lindokuhle.
“No! My son can’t leave me… Lindokuhle, wake up! Son, buddy daddy needs you don’t do this please… I refuse to bury you baby…” He cries as Lindokuhle’s heart beat stops. “No…”
“I am very sorry sir.”

***

Ntombenhle was rushed to the labour ward as she was going to give birth prematurely. Luyolo again had to be strong for her and wait until she gives birth. She was assigned to give birth naturally but due to circumstances now, she is ought to have an emergency Caesarean. Luyolo was given scrubs and surgeon mask as he is going to be present in the ward where Ntombenhle is going to deliver the babies.

“Please. It’s not time yet. Tell them to stay in for a little longer until their time comes…” Ntombenhle wails. Luyolo takes her hand and pecks it. He feels his chest burn but, he ignores the feeling and focus on his wife.
“It’s going to be okay sweetheart heart. We have to do this.”
“This is… aaaaahh.” The contractions in her stomach worsen. “”Make the pain go away, please.”

A midwife and two nurses walk into the ward and then look at the time on the clock hanged on the wall. They prepare the equipment to get the babies out of the stomach. Mbalenhle and Busani were waiting outside the ward.

***

Yoniswa was watching the news on TV while drinking champagne and eating snacks celebrating not knowing that, Lindokuhle, her son has passed on, on the way to the hospital.

***

Nomathemba has managed to get everyone to leave. She had also called Siboniso to let him know what was happening and Siboniso will be catching a late fly to Johannesburg. She had a bag of baby accessories and clothes as she is going to drive to the hospital.

***

Meanwhile, Ntombenhle's first baby was born. He looked chubby and very beautiful, looking more like his father. The midwife took the second baby out but, he was a stillborn baby.

“Why is he not moving? Why is he not crying like the first baby?” Luyolo asks breathing fire.
“I am very sorry but…”
“I have had enough of that shit today!” He scoffs. Ntombenhle starts crying very loud. They stitch her up before moving her to another ward.

After the nurse had cleaned the baby, she put him in the incubator before wheeling him to Ntombenhle’s ward where she was sedated. Luyolo, Mbalenhle and Busani were all sitting in the ward very silent, not saying anything to each other. Luyolo was struggling to breathe a little but was very stubborn. He wanted to be there when his wife wakes up because currently, that is the only thing that keeps him sane. The nurse walked in.

“Here is the little one. The doctor will come and give you the forms to fill with the baby’s details.” She looked at Luyolo. “Sir, you need to see a doctor.”
“I am fine, thank you.” He said.

The baby was only wrapped in a hospital blanket and just then, Nomathemba walked in.

“Oh, my daughter.” Her tears rolled out from her eyes. She looked at Luyolo. “Son, how are you feeling?” Luyolo took a deep breathe and shook his head. No one couldn’t miss how hurt he was. He played with the baby in the incubator and smiled a little. “Where is the other baby? I bought their clothes and blankets and other things.” The room fell into a complete silence.

Nomathemba shook her head as more tears fell from her eyes. No one dared to say anything to how sensitive this is. She concluded it herself that the other twin is no more. The doctor walked in holding a file on her hands followed by both nurses and one of them was holding a new born baby hamper that they give out in private hospitals.

“Good afternoon. Mr Mayiza I will need you to fill in the form here and, from all of us in the hospital, we would like to congratulate you with this hamper.” Luyolo faintly smiled. Ntombenhle starts moving, she is waking up.
“Hey, mommy. How are you feeling?” Luyolo holds her hand.
“My baby, Luyolo…” She cries softly.
“Sshh… We are going to be fine, I promise.” He kisses him on her forehead. “Ma ka Enzokuhle.” He smiles at her.
“Tata ka Kyle.” (Kyle’s father.) They smile their pain away. Luyolo writes down the baby’s names on the form and then give it to the doctor.
“Very well. Sister please write down the name of the baby on the tag.”
“How is he?” Ntombenhle asks.
“Very strong. He is even ready to be taken home but, I would like to keep you here for another day. For now, please feed him your breast milk I am sure you mother knows a lot about babies.”
“Of course, I will help her.” Nomathemba says excitedly. The doctor and the nurses walk out after writing the name tag on the baby.

“How is Lindokuhle?” Ntombenhle asks. Luyolo hasn’t told anyone about his son’s passing. He looks down. “Baby? What is going on?”
“Chomam? Is he going to be fine?” Mbalenhle asks concerned. They all look at Luyolo for answers.
“Luyolo! Where is Lindokuhle?” Ntombenhle shouts ignoring the pain.
“Sis, you will hurt yourself.” Mbalenhle warns her.
“He-He is... Gone.” He fights back his tears.
“What!” They all ask in the room, shocked.