chapter 6

LOS ANGELES
KRITHI
“bella look over the one at table 9 dear” I maintained my professional tone mixed with some smile. I was really fed up faking smile to every costumer who smile at me. Since last year it became my daily routine.

Ping ping! My phone buzzed with an incoming message. I sighed watching the notification. Today is a weekend and I must go to meet my aunt here. Oh my god! I am late already. She will kill me if I am late again.

Last time when I forgot dinner she literally came to the café with the food and shouted at me while others enjoyed seeing my drama.

She even spoon fed me in my café. I was hell embarrassed. Since then I would never forget it. Now if I am late I don’t know what she would do this time. I asked bella to look after the café and barged out. On my way out I bombarded with a rock.

Wait. When did rocks started to move. I then understood that rock is a rock man when I saw his feet when I bend to pick my things.

In a hurry I quickly muttered a sorry and ran out.

I ran through the roads towards my aunt house which is barely 30 min from my café. The café which I was running is actually where my cousin karthik used to work as a part timer. Later I substituted him in his job as he became busy in his college. My aunt lives alone since karthik was 10. She works in office which means she is the only bread winner for now. I worked here for nearly 6 months, later I bought this place from the old couple who moved away to Italy. Since that day I became busy.

Thinking in I reached my aunt’s house. After sometime on hearing the calling bell my aunt opened the door with a smile on her face.  She hugged me tight which I gladly returned.

Later we both walked in. karthik was already there on the couch surfing through channels. I sat beside him on the couch and ruffled his hair.

“what the hell di! You spoiled my hair style!” he pouted to which I smiled.

“you look good in this my ik-pik-karthik” I grinned.

‘arghhh why do you always call me like that” he frowned his brows and started doing his hair style with his hands.

“because you are Mr. ik-pik karthik” I grinned.

“its dinner time” my aunt called from the dining table. We both stood up and sat on the dining table. Today my aunt made paranthas and paneer masala with my favorite chocolate ice cream as a dessert.

“why every time the dessert have to be her favorite?” karthik pouted.
I smirked at him. “because dessert resembles my sweet character unlike someones grumpy”

“because its your favorite dishes today. So dessert is her favourite” my aunt winked at me.
I must say my aunt is a crazy woman. May be without her I would not have been sane. She and karthik treated me as their own. They are the only family I have now. I missed my mom a lot. I remember her when I see aunt and karthik’s relation.

We had our dinner and after a chit chat with them I went to my home in a cab as I can’t walk twice the distance I covered from café to my aunt’s house.

I reached my home and went into my bed straight away after having a long shower. I called it a day off as I was hell tired.

LOS ANGELES
KRITHI

“have you seen my baby! We were just sitting on that table I just went to receive a call after I returned she is nowhere” a lady of mostly 30 yrs age came to me running for the help. I immediately stood up and went in search of the baby in the whole café.

Don’t worry! We gonna find her. Its my promise. You don’t panic” I assured her and left to the cctv footage.
In the footage I saw a baby going out of the café exactly 5 min back that means she might have not went too far. I immediately went to the lady and told her that we must search her outside as she went towards the cross road direction. We ran out and looked for the baby. We parted our ways in search of her. After a while I found a little girl crying on the pavements. I hurriedly went towards her.

“why are you crying little princess?” I asked her gently. She looked at me for a while and sat dumb.

“I am mumma’s friend so you can tell me” I assured her with a smile and patted her back gently.

“mu…mumma….angry…shout…i…go…fear..” she replied sobbing.

I took her up in my arms and walked towards the lady. After seeing her baby the lady ran towards me and hugged her baby in her arms. I smiled at their duo.

“you can have some drink in the café. You seem to be tired” I told that lady.

“thank you very much for your help. I am indebted to you” she said still with a worried filled eyes.
I shook my head “its nothing.”

The lady came inside the café along with me and excused herself to attend an imp call.. I think its from her husband as I heard her explaining the baby’s identity.

I took the baby in my arms” mummy is very busy so she shouted on you. She loves you a lot princess. So you must not leave her. We must not leave our loved ones. Okay!”

After sometime the lady came in. the baby went to her
“mumma  you love me?” she asked her.

The lady amused at the out of blue question of the baby.

“of course I love you my princess” she hugged the baby.

“I am sorry mumma. From now I will never leave you. I love you mumma” she replied in her baby voice.

She looked at me and I smiled at her. I grinned at their duo. I really like them. She invited me to her house.

“I am lil busy now. I will come some other time” I refused it gently.

They both turned to leave, but suddenly that little girl ran towards to me and I bent down in reflex.

She hugged me” thank you” and kissed me on my cheek. I smiled at her and hugged her back.
The lady smiled and nodded and left.

I went back home after closing the café but I can’t stop myself from thinking about her. If I didn’t do that mistake their family would have been great today. Its all my fault. They paid for my fault. I reminded myself about my promise and smiled at myself in the mirror and left to see the costumers.