chapter 12

“you can continue it later aunty. You are weak now. You can’t do it” I said with concern.
“I don’t have any other option krithi. I think I will lose my job there, because past few weeks I was not really into my work. I think I have lost all the chances” she said weakly and cried again.
“what! What are you saying aunty. What happened in the past few weeks?” I asked her worriedly.
“actually karthik was very pale and unhealthy for the past few days. So I took him to the hospital and the reports says…”she trailed off again and collapsed on the ground.
I pulled her and made her sit on the bench and asked her again. I think there is something serious.
“it says-says he had some intestinal problem and needed treatment immediately. I was thinking about him and not reached my targets for the month. In addition to that, now he met with an accident. I don’t know why everything is happening to my family. Krithi you know right, he is the only one I have now for me. Without him, I can’t live without him.” she was sobbing heavily.
The earth below me shattered. I did expect something serious, but never expected this dead serious. She is in a bad need of money yet she never told me. She is suffering all alone by herself. How can I be such selfish. She is the one who took care of me when I had no one in this city. I need to repay her. She treated me no less than karthik. Its my responsibility to look after her as her daughter.
“aunty don’t worry. I am here. I promise you will see karthik sound and safe in home in weeks. Trust me. And now you go home and take rest” I told her.
“krithi how can you do it all alone. You can’t beti(child)…”she tried to stop me.
“aunty you consider me as your daughter right. So please let me do my duty as a daughter. Also I want the project details you were working on present. Ask their permission that you will work from home for a week” I asked her. She looked at me amusingly. I nodded my head in assurance and to trust me.
She sighed and told me all the details of the project”. Okay aunty, now I will visit doctor and by tomorrow I will complete your work.” I stood up to leave.
“krithi…” I stopped in my tracks listening and turned around.
‘she hugged me and blessed by patting my back and said” since you agreed me as your mother, I want to hear you calling me as maa”
I was shocked. tears welled up my eyes. I remained silent for few seconds.
“o-o-k-ay m-ma-maa(mom)” I stuttered and nodded my head and left to meet the doctor.
I need money for his operation and the expenses. I want money in no less than 2 weeks. I will try my level best. I was now in my café doing aunty’s office project I must have to do it. I never thought I would do this again. Aftermath of my past I never tried it. Honestly I lost it. It remind me of my memories. But this is for aunt. Who sheltered me in storm time. I worked on it for a few days also Rahul helped me in this but in a condition of meeting me. I eventually agreed.
After three days I somehow completed the work and aunty is still in the hospital. I went to hospital and send aunty to home and gave her the project after completing it. She thanked me. I asked her not to disclose me helping her to anyone not even to their collegues. I just don’t want anything or anyone who reminds me my past self by any chance.
I am in a desperate need of money. I need it at any cost. I saw karthik sleeping surrounding with machines that are beeping acknowledging that our lives are in their control. I stood up and went to washroom. I looked myself in the mirror. I saw a pale face across me. She seems to be exhausted. She looked hopeless. Noo!!!! I don’t like it. I must change. I can’t let them down. I will never break my promise.
I tried to smile. Smile. Smile. I smiled at myself at last and nodded in determination that I somehow will do it. I went back to the room. I sat there thinking all possibilities for money.
……………………………………………………………
LOS  ANGELES

“yeah…. I will try to……umhhh…okay!” Ethan put back his phone on the desk and looked at his friend who seems to be nonchalant of matter.
“are you really going to marry that bitch?” he asked his friend who is swimming in his work.
“If I am not wrong you have heard it right!” he replied without looking up.
“why the hell are you doing this? You know everything” he asked bit annoyed of his friend’s decision. “you really want to trade your happiness for your business? How can you do that?”
Chris looked up and sighed closing his eyes. He really didn’t know what to do.
“listen I am not risking my happiness with this marriage because this marriage meant nothing to me. Its only a business deal. In addition I can have a girl every time I want. I don’t believe in living happily forever. To me my happiness is my family. Whoever may be coming they meant nothing to me. I can live my life as I want.” He replied.
“she can never be loyal to you. You can never be happy in your marriage life.” He tried his best to convince.
Chris just stared at Ethan. His face is emotionless and expressionless.
“chris I just want to say that you should marry someone who loves you. Cares for you. Cries for you. Understands you. Make you understand others. Unlike someone who deals marriage as another business deal”
Chris chucked. Ehtan frowned at his friend who nonchalantly chuckled despite his concern and worry.
“I was just wondering how you became love expert from a lust expert. Iva has done a great job in taming you”
Ethan sat silently watching his friend’s ignorance. He was totally pissed off by his friend pedantic behavior.
“I’ll get going” he stood up and left chris office.
Chris rested his head on the head rest and closed his eyes.
He knew even though the truth hurts, he has no family life. All he had is his brother’s family. He wants to grow up his business. He plans of discussing with kate about this. He shook his heads and concentrated back to his laptop.