Chapter Five

(The Next Day)

The white, red, and blue target sat up against the tree, and my backpack rested next to it. Randall leaned against a stump behind me while playing on his phone. I put the arrow into the rest and pulled the string back. The arrow landed in the middle of the target, causing the target to shake. I put another arrow into the bow and shot the paper target. 

The second arrow landed next to the first one. With each arrow that I shot, a whistling noise sparked as it flew through the air. Randall clapped from the stump beside me. I grinned and took a break, reaching for my water bottle. "I've got a question," I took a sip of my water. "What's up?" Randall put his phone into the pocket of his jacket. 

I finished my water bottle and slipped it into the side pocket of my bag. I began to pack up my bow and arrow. "Am I uh...y'know?" I said. Randall shook his head and walked over to the target, helping me take out the silver arrows. "No. Y/N, I don't know," he said. I grabbed the arrows from him to put them into my backpack. 

"Am I a Knight?" I asked. "I don't know," he replied. "What do you mean 'I don't know'?" I questioned, putting air quotation marks around the phrase. He kicked a stone to the side and looked back at me with his hands on his hips. "There hasn't really been a human apart of the knights," Randall said. I put the rest of the arrows into my backpack. 

Randall was nice enough to roll up the target, helping me pack everything up. I thanked him with a smile and zipped up the bag. "I know that I'm the daughter of Vera Stone, and that kind of affects things a little bit," I said. "A little bit?" he said sarcastically. I looked through my bag to make sure I'd gotten everything. 

"Your friends might not trust me, but you know I don't mean any harm. And I'm not really a part of The Order. I'm just related to someone who...happens to be the leader of a...society."

Randall sighed and shook his head. He picked up my backpack, handing it to me with a hand grasping the strap. "You want to help?" Randall asked. I nodded and took the blue backpack from him. He swung an arm around my shoulders as we walked away. "You can help with one thing," he said, pointing to me. 

~~~~

(Later)

Randall and I sat on Jack's bed in his room. I looked around his dorm, seeing all of the new decorations that he had miraculously added. "Why're we even in here?" I asked. "Waiting for Jack," Randall answered. "Well, I figured that out, but seriously, why did we sneak into his dorm?" I said. Our conversation was interrupted by Jack walking into his dorm room. He jumped at our sudden presence. 

"You can't just sneak into my dorm room. That's just not okay. In fact, that's breaking and entering!" Jack shouted. "I told him it was stupid," I said, gesturing to Randall, who stood beside me. Before coming to Jack's dorm, Randall had told me that Jack had been chosen by one of the hides, Silverback, to be exact. "Does she know?" Jack asked. "Yes, she knows," Randall turned to me, "She knows a lot, actually."

I smiled, but it faded once Jack stated something I never thought I'd hear. My head whipped in his direction. "You killed our Ethics professor!" I shouted. Randall nudged my shoulder, telling me to be quiet using his eyes. "I think one of his intestines is stuck between my fucking teeth," Jack said, gritting his teeth. 

Randall leaned forward and looked at our friend. "Oh, yeah," he said, chuckling. Jack pushed him back, reaching for a shirt draped over the back of his office chair. "Do you know how and why you killed him?" I asked. Jack shook his head, stating that he had a plan to figure that out. Soon, the three of us walked down the street to where Ms. Benson lived. 

Jack kept muttering to himself about how he couldn't believe he had killed his Ethics professor. "Well, on the bright side, nobody knows it was you," I said, but my sentence was proven wrong when we saw Jack's clothes lying on the scene of the crime. "Way to go, Jack. The first thing you should never do is leave the clothes that you wore when you murdered someone," Randall said.