Chapter Twenty-Seven

Randall and I sat at the edge of the bed while Jack and Hamish paced back and forth in front of us. I reached for fry, but Randall slapped my hand away. "So..." I trailed, "Salvador's a werewolf, that's great." I took a sip of my water. "You're practically dating one," Randall said. "It hasn't been official yet," I replied. 

"Can you two stop flirting!" Hamish said, "Look, Salvador must have Midnight's hide." 

I grabbed the bag with our food in it and ate some of the fries. "Well, I can't believe Midnight would bond with her," Jack said. "I don't know if you've noticed, dude, but Midnight is kind of indiscriminate," Randall said and took the bag from me. 

"We gotta get the hide back," Jack said, standing up from the bed. The four of us heard the bedroom door open then close. Gabrielle walked in with some Order members following her. "Get to the temple," Gabrielle ordered, "Vera wants to see you." 

"We're here to escort you back," Agnes said, standing in front of us. "Well, tell her thanks, but we're busy," Jack countered. "You're liars," Agnes said then looked at Randall, "And werewolves." 

"and one way or another, you're coming with us," Terri said,joining the conversation. "Orders are orders," Agnes said. "Would you all just put them back in your pants?" Gabrielle retorted, "Foley is dead, everyone thinks you're responsible." 

"So my mother's throwing us to the wolves?" I said, looking up from the ground. "The metaphorical ones," I added. "We don't know that," Jack said. 

"She doesn't want to," Gabrielle spoke and crossed her arms, "but her opinion might not matter much longer." Hamish stood in front of the fireplace. "Is Vera okay?" Hamish asked. "They're going to vote her out, and once she's gone," Agnes said, "So are you." I narrowed my eyebrows and clenched my fists. Daniel saw me getting a little pissed by the second. "You can wolf out your way of here," Daniel said, "or for Y/N it'll be like becoming She-Hulk." I looked at my ex. "Sucks for you because She-Hulk is my favorite superhuman," I said, "I mean....an army of douche nozzles?" 

"or you could go and face them head on," Gabrielle said. "and you're going in chained," Daniel added. Hamish walked over to Daniel and said, "Not going to happen." 

"I don't think he likes you," Jack said then walked away, leaving Randall and I in front of Daniel. "You're lucky I didn't shove an arrow down your throat," I said and walked away, hitting his shoulder. 

~~~~

The four of us stood before my mother, Kepler and a member. Lines of red cloaked people stood on either side of us, some sat others stood. "After we learned about the attacks on the Order which included the capture of one of our disciple," Jack said. Randall snapped his fingers and pointed to Hamish. "That would be him," Randall said. I looked at him and nudged his arm, shaking my head. "Can you be serious for on second?" I asked him. 

"Not if I can deny it," he answered. 

"We then tracked down Cameron Foley to a Praxis safe house," I explained, "captured him, and brought him here to the temple." Randall looked at me and gave me a thumbs up, I shook my head as I tried to withhold myself from laughing. "Thank you," Kepler said, "and thank you for your work, and what special considerations did Vera offer you in exchange for bringing her a scapegoat?" 

"Foley's not a scapegoat," Jack responded. "Look," I sighed, "You're wasting time here. If you want to know about Foley, find Salvador Grant." 

"We think she's their true leader," Jack said. "I thought Cameron Foley was the leader of Praxis," said Kepler. "Yeah, so did we," Randall said, nodding. "but now that he's dead, someone else is the actual  leader?" Kepler asked, "Isn't that a little convenient?"