Chapter Eighteen

I sat beside Randall, the image of my mothers pale face haunted me. I couldn't stop thinking of what could happen if I lost control. My magic was getting stronger than it ever has before. A waitress walked over and set a glass of liquor down in front of me. I grabbed the glass, swallowing the liquid all in one sip. "A ventriloquist doll?" Randall asked in disbelief. Hamish nodded, not looking up from the glass. 

"Stupid Ricky Simarco and his stupid birthday party," Hamish ranted. Randall looked at me, putting a hand on top of mine. I whipped my head towards him a little alarmed. "What'd you see?" he asked. "Oh just something stupid," I lied, "Something about....cats."

"Cats?" 

"Yeah, you know-" I gulped, "Like tigers." He slowly nodded his head then brought his attention back to everyone else. "At least now I know why Alyssa calls it the fear corridor," Jack said. "You didn't think to tell us that before leading us down that creepy-ass hallway that turns our worst fears into a reality?" I retorted. "It wasn't like that when I went with her," Jack replied. 

"So what was it like?" Randall questioned. 

"It was a hell of a lot less scary," Morton replied, looking at Randall than me. I grabbed he pitcher and poured me a glass of water. "Jack, buddy," said Hamish, "Specificity is kind of important right now." Hamish dabbed the wet cloth on the cut that had formed on his forehead. "We went through the entrance and she told me it was called the fear corridor," Jack explained, "and then she took my hand as we passed under the inscription." 

"The inscription must be some kind of enchantment," I said, taking another sip of my drink. "Alyssa must have some kind of neutralizer," Lilith suggested, "Did she utter an incantation? Was she carrying anything?" Jack shook his head, leaning back in his seat. "She was wearing a necklace, I'd never seen before," Jack answered.

"A big amulet?" I asked. Jack nodded as a response. "I've seen my mother wear it," I added. "About so big with a raised symbol on it?" inquired Hamish. I nodded, "Yeah, an inscription around the edge."  

"That's the one," Hamish sighed, "I've seen Vera wearing it." 

"Mm, Vera," Randall teased, "Sounds like we need that amulet." Jack glanced at him and shook his head. Randall looked down at me and picked a piece of grass that was stuck in my hair. He grinned, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. "I burned all my good will with Alyssa," Jack said. "Well," Hamish sighed, "We'll just have to go to the source."

"How do we do that?" I asked, "She practically wears it likes it's a golden ticket from the chocolate factory." Hamish raised his hand to get the check, he lowered his hand then looked at me. "I'll find a way," he said, smirking. 

~~~~

Lilith set down what looked to be a projector on the coffee table, there was a small brown skull at the front of the machine. Lilith turned some knobs and a bright light shone from the circle. There was a faint distortion noise coming from the machine. "It's so...." I trailed. 

"Evocative," Lilith finished, "I'm reminded of Sebnem Ugural's portraiture." A large picture of the amulet appeared from the projector. Randall shook his head from beside me. "Sweet use of that fine arts education," he said. Lilith looked up at him and laughed. "Well," Jack sighed, "I'll tell you, the necromancer version of this was hella messier." I knelt down beside Lilith to get a better looked at the picture. "What's this called?" Jack Morton asked. 

"Optography," Hamish answered, "Elena showed it to me. She's actually a fine tutor." 

"You know, except for the part where we hate the Order," Jack said, "I'm actually enjoying the training this time around." Lilith and Hamish glanced at Jack, smiling. "It's definitely easier when you already know what you're doing," Lilith said and turned around the switch.