Chapter Eight

Your Nick Name: Y/N/N

I stepped out of my car just as I arrived at Jack's grandfather's house. The moonlight shined down on the surface of my red car. I pulled the sleeves of my sweater down to my palms. I saw that the garage of the Morton's house was wide open, telling me that Jack or his grandfather might be home. 

Alyssa had informed me what had happened between her and Jack, but she didn't really go into detail about what they were after. I just know that they were being chased by some weird chick and that they had an argument. Jack's back was facing me as I stood in the entranceway of the garage. He threw a knife at a picture, landing it right on the man's forehead. "You really don't like the Grand Magus, do you?" I spoke. 

Jack turned around at the sound of my voice. He shook his head and stepped away from the corkboard. I looked around the garage and saw the different knickknacks that aligned the walls. Two recliners were on one side of the room, a tv sitting in front of it. "Alyssa told me what happened," I walked inside. "Did she go into any detail?" Jack asked. "Not much, but I can tell from that look on your face that you need a friend right about now," I replied. 

I sat down on one of the stools in front of a table. Jack smiled and muttered something, but nothing that I could interpret. "I never told you this, but I can trust you," Jack turned to me. I nodded at him, motioning for him to spit it out. Jack thought to himself and let out a heavy sigh. "Edward Coventry," Jack started. 

He looked at my confused expression and let out another heavy sigh. Jack ran a hand through his hair and set down beside me. "Edward Coventry is my father," he confessed. My eyes widened at his claim. Jack stood up from the stool and grabbed a beer from the fridge. He handed me a bottle of water. The two of us walked to the recliners, sitting down. "You can't tell anyone. Especially Randall, I know you tell each other everything," Jack said. 

"I don't tell Randall everything," I claimed. Jack looked at me with raised brows, bringing the beer to his lips. It fell silent for a few more seconds before I spoke up. "I'm not going to tell anyone, I promise," I said, locking my lips with an imaginary key. Jack chuckled at my action and leaned back in the recliner. 

He looked at the television, changing the channel. I took a sip of my water and screwed the cap on. "Well, I should better get going. My mother asked me to meet her at the Temple," I said, sighing. "Another lecture?" Jack replied. I shrugged and stood up from the recliner. He gave me a fist bump and wished me a goodnight. 

~~~~

(The Next Day) 

"So, like a good husband, Orpheus follows Eurydice to Hades to try and save her," Ms. Benson said, leaning against her desk. The power point behind her lit up half of the room. I quickly jotted down some notes as she clicked through the presentation. Jack sat beside me, looking over my shoulder a few times to see what I wrote. I shifted the page to him so he could properly see. 

He quietly thanked me and wrote something down. "Yeah. Orpheus was a fool," he said. Our professor glanced at him, bringing her attention away from the presentation. "It's romantic, chasing your dead wife to hell? If that's not true love, then true love doesn't exist," Brandon countered. I shook my head and looked up from the notebook. "No. He wasn't in love," I joined the conversation. 

Jack held up a fist, I bumped my fist with his. "We have another person," Benson grinned, "Let's go with that. Jack, care to add?" Jack lowered his hand and sat up in his seat. "He felt obligated; what did Eurydice do to earn his sacrifice? Nothing," Jack said. He tapped his pencil on his notebook as he spoke. Benson made the comment that she took off to dance with the Nymphs without saying goodbye.