Chapter Twenty Three

I sat down on one of the chairs, leaning my chin on my hand. "Well, the Greeks had a word for the process of turning ideas into action," Foley said, "They called it 'Praxis,' but it is more than an idea or, or a concept." A waiter walked over, handing Hamish and I a glass of wine. I smelled the alcohol, but didn't like the smell. I set it on the table and left it alone. "And that's why we call the group Praxis, which is...." Foley continued. Salvador walked over to Foley, whispering something to him. "Everyone," Foley smirked, "Please top up your drinks, we're about to get started." Salvador walked over to the door, locking it. I looked up at Hamish as my fear started to creep up on me. He gave me a reassuring nod before looking back at Foley. I reached down for my dagger, preparing myself if I ever needed it. 

~~~~

"Well, thank you all for coming out," Foley said, "Some of you I've met before, some are new and some of you may not believe what you're about to see tonight." Foley looked at me, but slowly looked away. "Some may call what I'm about to show you anarchy or sedition," he stopped pacing, "or even terrorism and they'd be right because the truth is.... those are just other words for 'freedom'." The audience clapped as the man spoke. I looked around the crowd, concerned about their reactions. "Freedom," said my professor, "It doesn't come from asking nice. Freedom comes from rising up, freedom comes from fighting back. Freedom is never given, it must be taken, and what must be taken. What we must reclaim is a secret so ancient and so powerful that it has lived and died several times already." 

I felt my phone vibrate, but decided to ignore it. "A secret that could change the world, a secret that must change the world," Foley pulled out a knife and the crowd gasped, "and that secret is this..." He smirked in a evil way. 

"Magic is real." 

There was a hushed chattering across the crowd. Foley cut his palm and repeated an incantation I rose up from the table, preparing myself to take action. Hamish put a hand on my shoulder, shaking his head in disagreement. "Tarraing an tintreach," Foley said. His body soon ignited a purple and white glow. Foley's eyes soon turned to a pearl white color. The crowd gasped, their eyes widened at the sight. The lights on either side of the professor burst, leaving no more light to shine through the covers. Foley stopped the incantation and continued to breath heavily. I brought out my phone quickly and texted Randall. 

Me: Foley's doing magic

Randall: No shit

Me: Randall! 

Randall: Right, sorry! Be careful, I've gtg 

Me: K

I slipped my phone into my back pocket and continued to listen to my crazy Ethics professor. After about an hour of listening to Foley, the sun began to set. My professor motioned a women to sit on a chair up front. "Imagine," he said and rose his hand, the women and the chair began to rise. "This once belonged to the world before powerful and selfish elite began hoarding it, hunting anyone who defied them. Joan of Arc, the Salem Witch Trials, Helen Duncan," he continued, letting the women down to the ground. Gasps and chuckles scattered throughout the men and women. "Praxis will rise up against the corrupt oligarchy," Foley said, "and restore power to the world. Magic for the masses." 

I glanced at Hamish and nudged his arm. He took the hint, starting to clap vigorously (GIF Above). "Wow," he said, "That was amazing." 

"We've seen a lot of magic acts in my life," I said, "but I've never seen one that uses social justice as its hook." Professor Foley tilted his head as I spoke. "Well done, like really well done," Hamish said, continuing to clap. 

"That was real," Foley insisted. 

"Oh of course," Hamish said, "I didn't see the wires or anything, I promise." Hamish winked, smirking. Salvador walked over to the two of us and grabbed our arms, causing my grip on my dagger to loosen. "No, Salvadore," Foley said, "It's all right, bring him here." Salvador let go of the two of us. Hamish walked over to the professor and stood beside him. "I've seen you around," Foley said, "What's your name?"