Chapter Ten

Randall and I sat side by side, my head resting on his shoulder. After Alyssa had left, the rest of us hadn't really spoken in full-length conversations. Other than a 'nice drink Hamish' or a simple 'How's everyone's day going', the second question was from Randall, of course. A couple of minutes passed, and the Knights got the familiar ringing sound. "Well, that was intense," Lilith said. 

She walked over to the chair and plopped down, resting her feet on the ottoman. "That was probably Edward and Alyssa," Randall huffed, "Probably making sweet, sweet magic together somewhere." We all turned our heads to him, disgusted by his comment. He put his hands up, a little confused at our reaction. "That's gross. He's probably like forty," I said.  

"I meant it in a literal sense," Randall downed the rest of his martini. He sighed and reached out his hand for Hamish to refill it. "I don't want to talk about this anymore, okay?" Jack said. He chugged his beer and crushed the can with his hands. "You know," he sighed, "I just don't understand why she can't see what a monster he is."

Jack stood up from the couch and threw his arms up in the air. Hamish sat on the stool, putting his drink down. "It's because he's her idol. You can't tear someone's idol down for them. They have to do that themselves," Hamish said. Randall pointed at him in agreement. "The Hamsters right," he said. 

Hamish's face contorted from the sudden nickname. He shook his head again. "Don't call me that," he paused to take a drink. "I'm no fan of Coventry, but objectively he does have a high bang-ability," Lilith said. "And don't forget his ability to creep the hell out of people," I added. "You're talking about my girlfriend," Jack said. 

He glanced between Lilith and me. I corrected him, saying 'ex-girlfriend' instead of 'girlfriend.' Jack leaned back in the chair with crossed arms. "And my dad," he stated. "He's not your dad. He's some guy who dumped his seed into your mom and took off," Lilith said, using her hands as she spoke. Now my face contorted in reaction. 

"Okay, that's stepping over the line a little bit," I said. "You got a better way to describe it," she countered. I shrugged. Randall suggested biological father, which got no response from Jack. It was silent for a few more minutes until Hamish broke it. "Maybe Alyssa's right about you quitting The Order," Hamish thought. 

Jack shook his head. "It's not that easy. Remember what happened to Lilith and her memory?" he said, pointing to our friend. "I don't," she said, sighing. "If I'm lucky. That's all they take," Jack said. Randall stood up from the couch, rubbing his hands together, stating that we all had a new project. "Find a way to restore Jack's memory. We can test it out at Lilith," Randall said. 

She tilted back in her chair, shaking her head vigorously. "I don't want my memory back," she said. "Lil, it would be so cool. What if you found out you can shred the electric guitar?" Randall grinned. He listed a few more examples of what Lilith might find out. "We could start a band. Randall and the Werewolves," Randall continued.

"Why don't I get top billing?" Hamish said, disappointed. "If you have to ask," Randall took a swig of his drink, "That's why." Hamish rolled his eyes and stood up, crossing his arms. He leaned against the edge of the bar. "I can deal with shredding. I just don't want to live in any world where I was besties with Alyssa Drake," Lilith said. 

The Knights groaned and craned their necks to the side in pain. They all stood there for a few seconds in pain. Randall hit his hand on the edge of the counter, coughing. "That was annoying," he huffed. "And longer than usual," Lilith commented. My friends spent a couple of minutes regaining themselves before our conversation continued. 

"It's been a long night for all of us. Get some rest. Whatever it is, it can wait," Hamish said. 

~~~~