Chapter Seven

"You fucking hypocrite!" Lilith insulted, walking down the stairs. She jumped down onto the last step and lunged towards Jack. "Okay. Let's take a breather," Hamish said. He stepped over and put a hand on her shoulder, preventing her from stepping any further. Lilith pushed off his hand and walked into the living room. "You have the nerve to give me shit about eating some monster's heart, but you turn around and drive a van traveling people to their death!" she shouted. 

Lilith stood in front of the couch with her hands on her hips. She was fuming, rightfully so. Jack threw his arms up in the air at her exclamation. Randall perked up at the sudden information. "Did you know about this?" he asked, glancing at me. "Yes, but I didn't know that they were doing this," I replied. Jack groaned and put pressure between his brows. He stated that it was an elemental transfer.

To which the spell needed five sacrifices. He ignored our glares, rubbing his eyes. "You were supposed to be sabotaging it, not helping," Lilith said. Jack groaned yet again, wandering a hand through his hair at the multiple accusations being thrown. "I did. We were up and running again in twelve hours," Jack said. "We? These sacrifices, they have lives. You had a choice," I said. 

He turned right to me with his hands on his hips. Jack scoffed and continued speaking. "It's the fucking Order, Y/N! Did you think I had a choice? You're related to a member, and you're asking me if I had a choice?" Jack exclaimed, stepping towards me with a hand directed at me. Randall shot him a look, joining my side with an arm out, preventing Jack from coming any closer. "Hey, quit yelling!" Hamish ordered. 

The room suddenly went silent at Hamish's demand. We all took a breather and stood in our spots in the living room. "So you failed, you admit it?" Lilith spoke, trailing her eyes from the rug to look at Jack. He shook his head. Jack looked at the ground before continuing to speak. "I talked to Coventry. I saw it in his eyes. He's so desperate that he'll do anything for the spell. He'll even risk the entire Order, and we need to know why," Jack explained. 

Hamish took a swig of his drink. "We know why," he said. Hamish turned around to put the glass onto the bar. Randall picked up a book and handed it to Jack, stating that the spell cures sickness by passing it to other people. He sat down on the couch and leaned back with his hands on his knees. Hamish explained how these people don't just die. The disease has to kill them, or the whole thing reverses. It's torture.  

"No. If he's doing this spell, then he's doing it for a reason. There has to be something big at the end of it," Jack said, "If we play it smart, I can figure out what Coventry is after and what his plan is and the right moment-"

"The right moment is now," Lilith interrupted. Jack's shoulders dropped in response. There was another short pause of silence until the heated conversation resumed. "That's the real reason why we became Knights," she shortly added. "What if we make it worse? What if we save these five people, and then he kills a thousand?" Jack suggested. Hamish shook his head and claimed that he wouldn't let that happen. 

I sat down on the couch beside Randall, leaning into him slightly. "He lit his hand on fire as a parlor trick," I said. "If you go at him, he's going to put you down," Jack added. He waved his hands around to prove a point, but I don't really think it was working. "Then none of this is going to matter," Lilith made her way over to the bar. Hamish watched her pour herself a drink. "Oh, whatever, 'Kill-ith'" Jack scoffed.

Her face contorted in reaction to his nickname. She sighed and put the glass down next to Hamish's. "I love that nickname, but it is still wrong," Lilith pointed a finger at him. Jack crossed his arms and walked towards Randall. "You wanted an inside man. Let me do my job as a Knight," he said. Randall sighed and leaned back against the couch cushion. He tapped his fingers on the armrest where his arm laid.