Chapter Nine

My eyes twitched as they adjusted from the bright lights above me. They buzzed slightly. I shivered when I felt a cold gust of hair brush against my skin. My body ached when I sat up from the hospital bed. "I'm never doing day drinking again," I muttered, trying to reach for my black eye. 

But, to my surprise, my arm was chained to the metal armrest on the bed. I tugged at the silver chain to see if it would come off. "Hello! I don't know why I'm here, but if you could get out, that would be very much appreciated!" I shouted. The metal door on the other side of the room swung open. 

I squinted my eyes at the sudden source of light. Ruby and someone else walked into the large room. She set a stool beside the bed and sat down. The other person stood behind Ruby, holding a clipboard in his hands. "Your arm looks worse. We'll have to get you something for that," Ruby said. 

She looked down at her clipboard and wrote something down. She sighed, setting the clipboard down so it sat in her lab. "Let's start the interview," Ruby said, "First question: do you remember your father?" My brows furrowed in response to her question. 

Ruby looked down at her papers and brought her eyes up to me. The boy from behind her shifted from one foot to the other. "I'm sorry I guess I wasn't very clear," Ruby cleared her throat, "Did you know your father? Do you remember any significant memories, or do you know where he went?" I shook my head. 

The woman sighed yet again and wrote down my answer. She dragged her finger across the paper, stopping at one question. "What is one core memory between the two of you?" Ruby questioned. I thought to myself, yet nothing came to mind. "I don't really remember my father. He left when I was five," I replied. 

I felt myself begin to grow angrier by the second. Ruby held the board against her, gripping the sides. "Y/N, I don't want to ask again," she said, a brow raised. "You know, this is kind of a hard subject. People don't really like to talk about a parent who left them," I said. 

"Y/N, please, I need to know," Ruby pleaded. She glanced at the boy behind her and brought her eyes back to me. "How the hell does this relate to the relationship? I don't want to talk about my father," I said, feeling my blood begin to boil. My heart raced, beating against my chest. 

Ruby sighed heavily and put the clipboard on the table beside the bed. She leaned forward, her hands on her knees. "Y/N," Ruby paused, "Your father was an excellent doctor. He was great to work with." I turned away from her, craning my neck to the side to block out her voice. Ruby lightly touched my arm as she tried to sympathize. 

I yanked my arm away from the bar, breaking the restraint. The chain flew across the room and shattered into pieces. "Astounding," Ruby said. She grabbed her papers again and quickly wrote something down. I stared at the broken pieces that laid on the ground. 

So many different things were flying through my head. There were red marks all along my arm from how much I was pulling at the chain. "There is no interview, is there?" I asked, turning back to them. My eyes were drawn to the boy from earlier. He held a needle in one hand. His other hand bawled up in a fist. 

He walked over and grabbed my arm. I tried ripping my arm from his grip, but he was a bit stronger than me. My actions stopped when there was a slight prick at the side of my neck. Ruby pushed the boy back, waiting to see what my reaction would be. Everything around me began to fade in and out.  

~~~~

(Later at the lab)

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but I woke up on the cold floor rather than the bed. It was hard against my body as I cautiously sat up. Both my hands were stinging with pain. My hand gripped the wall when I stood up from the concrete. "Y/N," a voice echoed throughout the room. I looked around to try and find the source of sound.