Chapter Seventeen

Cara James

''M'nervous." I said quietly as I wiped my sweetly palms on my jeans.

Today is the day.

Is it too late to run?

"No matter what happens you'll have me and I'll have you." Harry said as he entwined our fingers and lightly pulled me towards his car. No matter how many times I suggested just walking so it would take a whole extra five minutes to get there, but I'll take what I can get, he still insisted just going in his car.

Now here we are, sitting in his car silently after the shortest car ride of all time.  We both sat staring at the front door knowing what is in for us as soon as we walk in.  I take a deep, shaky breath, trying to talk myself into just getting out the car and do it.

Just do it Cara.

Harry was the first to get out of the car, coming round to my side and opening the door but I didn't move.  I can't move.  I felt his hand softly grasp mine, giving it a small squeeze to grab my attention.  I looked towards him and gave him a small, sad and nervous smile.

"Come on, we can do it."  He said softly as he coaxed me out of the car.  I took yet another deep breath, not seeming to be able to get enough air in my lungs right now.  I sling my legs out and hop down from the seat onto the ground, my hand staying firmly placed in Harry's as he closed the door behind me.  We both walked to the front door but neither of us touched the handle or made any sort of move to open it, instead Harry turned me to fully face him.  His eyed searched my scared ones with a sympathetic smile, he knows how badly this is going to go but he also knows I'm going to have it worse.

"I love you okay?  So does Kat, she might just be too angry to see that when we go in but she does.  She'll get over it."  He said quietly, I nodded slightly, I know Kat loves me, I know I love Kat. 

But I know I love Harry and I shouldn't have to give that up, right?

His lips pressed lightly against mine, trying to give me everything I need to be brave and go inside.  As he pulled away slightly he left a few more small and quick pecks on my lips before squeezing my hand and opening the front door. He led me in and through the hall to the living room to find it empty but the sound of music could be heard so we followed that and of course found ourselves out by the pool.

"Hey Kat." Harry said causing her to jump slightly and turn to face us a bright smile on her face as she did.

"Hey guys! Cara do you ever answer your phone? I've called you like ten times!" She said as she stood up but soon stopped in her tracks as she pulled her sunglasses off to make sure she could see correctly as her eyes scanned over the both of us before landing on our hands.

The silence was deafening.

"Kat?" I asked quietly but her eyes never moved from our hands making me want so badly to pull mine away but all at the same time I know I need Harry's comfort right now.

"You..." She said quietly before shaking her head and looking up and between the two of us. I let go of Harry's hand and moved closer to Kat, opening my arms to pull her into a hug but Kat had different plans.

"Don't touch me Cara." She said, anger dripping from every word, slicing through me like a knife. I stopped in my tracks and dropped my arms to my side, tears welling in my eyes.