Chapter 7

The bus stop incident had scared Ayeon enough for her to decide to take up Minhyung's offer for a ride home instead of staying late at the studio for the next little bit.

Going home earlier also meant that she had rarely seen the Phoenixes. She had occasionally spotted Jaemin in his medicine class and saw Renjun every day but shared little interaction. Donghyuck was another mystery to her.

Ever since that day, she had only seen him passing by in the halls. She would glance over and the two would meet eyes before looking away again. It was as if the bus stop incident had never happened, and they had never introduced themselves to each other.

The Phoenixes were something, though. Occasionally someone would piss them off, and it never ended well. Ayeon had seen boys making snarky comments at them and the next time she saw them again, they were covered with cuts and bruises while the Phoenixes remained untouched. The thought sent a shiver down Ayeon's back.

They really are powerful.

Ayeon yawned as she entered her art history class, taking her usual seat behind Renjun. The male was already sketching in his sketchbook.

The design looked like a tattoo. It was phoenix, each line carefully drawn. But Renjun must have felt her staring as he turned around, making Ayeon look away before he closed his book.

"Class I have an announcement to make." Their teacher called out to them, shifting Ayeon's attention.

"We will be having a guest artist come in and teach a master class. Unfortunately, the only time he's available is in the evening, so the class will be tomorrow at 8:00 pm in the studio."

Ayeon gulped as she heard the time of the class. That meant that she would have to take the bus again.

...

Donghyuck tapped his pencil against his leg as he sat on the couch with his legs up, headphones over his ear, listening to the beats he had created. He hummed to himself as he wrote down the notes of a melody that he would be adding later on.

Despite what he had expected college to be, he ended up enjoying it. I mean the tests still suck, but everything else was alright.

Donghyuck often spent long hours at the school, sitting in the recording room. It was now one of his favourite places.

But there was something or rather someone else than ran through Donghyuck's mind.

Ayeon.

Donghyuck had seen the girl a few times in the halls, meeting her eyes. He would always look away just as fast, as her simple stare made him weak in the knees.

School was now a normal routine of their lives, which all of them but Jeno seemed to enjoy. There had been the occasional boys causing trouble, but the had dealt with them, the Phoenix way. After a few times, it seems as though the students have smarten up, and truly knew that they were untouchable.

The sound of the front door opening caught their attention. Donghyuck adjusted his headphones to hear Renjun's conversation with Jeno and Jaemin, the later who was doing his medicine homework while Jeno simply watched, playing with his butterfly knife.

"I can't help with the deal tomorrow, I have an art class." Renjun said as he walked by.

"Are you serious, this is important." Jeno said. Renjun nodded his head.

"Just get Ten and Johnny." Renjun suggest as he made his way to his room. Jeno stared at Donghyuck who shrugged.

"If he's out, so am I." Donhyuck said, quickly getting up to follow his roommate. Jeno groaned, taking out a cigarette and lighting it, taking a long drag.