Chapter 24

Taeyong seemed taken aback by her words. "What?"

"I want to become a Phoenix." Ayeon said again, this time crossing her arms.

Taeyong chuckled. "What makes you think you can just join a gang because you want to?"

"What makes you think I can't?" Ayeon snapped back.

"I like her attitude." The male covered in tattoos said.

"Ten, shut up." A taller and buffer male said. "You can't just join us."

"Johnny's right." Taeyong said, referring to the tall one. "You're going to have to pass through a series of tests."

"Alright." Ayeon said, still holding her ground. "I can handle a few tests."

"Jaehyun, bring the contract and pen." Taeyong said, motioning the male with milky skin standing beside Winwin. He left and returned with a paper and pen in his hands.

Contract?

Taeyong smirked as he passed the contract and pen to her. "This is your first test."

"The initiation tests to become a Phoenix can be long, difficult, and even life-threatening, making people want to give up halfway. But, if that happens then our initiation becomes known to non-Phoenixes, which becomes an issue. So, by signing this contract, this means that you'll be going through with the entire initiation process, whether you like it or not." Jaehyun explained.

"What happens if I don't?" Ayeon asked. Jaehyun brought his hand to his neck, making a slicing motion.

Okay. Nice.

"And if I fail these tests?" Jaehyun did the same motion.

Great.

Ayeon glanced behind her at Donghyuck who gave her a thumbs up before turning back at the contract.

I mean if everyone else went through this, I probably can too, right?

Ayeon took a deep breath, feeling everyone staring into her head as she picked the pen up. She quickly signed her name and placed the pen down, passing the contract back to Taeyong.

"There done."

Taeyong took the paper, staring at it for a second before passing it to Jaehyun. "File it."

Jaehyun nodded, taking the paper in his hands before heading away to the back room.

"Haechan, Jeno, get over here." Taeyong called out. Donghyuck and Jeno immediately got off their seats, quickly making their way to the table. Donghyuck put his arm around her.

"You're doing great." Donghyuck whispered in her ear.

"Jeno, go get her." Her?

Jeno nodded his head disappearing in the back before returning with a small dog.

"Take her." Jeno said, clearly uncomfortable as he passed Ayeon the dog. Ayeon took the dog in her hands, smiling at how cute it was.

"You have 24 hours, good luck." Taeyong said before lighting a cigarette.

"24 hours?" Ayeon asked, looking at Donghyuck and Jeno, who was ridding himself of the dog hair on his jacket.

"Yup, let's head up to my apartment, I'll explain there." Donghyuck said with a smile while Jeno grunted, following behind them.

...

"Ruby!" Chenle exclaimed as Ayeon set the dog down inside their apartment. Ayeon took the time to look around.