Chapter 20

Ayeon was at a loss for words. Could it be?

Ayeon decided to focus on her project instead and to question the whole Minhyung and Mark situation later. As her and Renjun continued to paint, before they knew it, hours had passed.

The sound of the door opening made both their heads spin. In walked Donghyuck along with a girl that was about the same height as Renjun, with long, dark hair. She was wearing all black with her phoenix jacket, her heeled boots clicking as she walked. The resemblance between her and Renjun made her identity quite obvious. It was Jiayi.

Donghyuck wore a big smile as he approached them. "And this is where these two spend their time instead of hanging out with me."

Ayeon felt small as Jiayi glanced over at her. "You must be Ayeon. Haechan told me a lot about you."

Ayeon shot Donghyuck a glance and he just shrugged. She turned back to Jiayi. "It's nice to meet you."

Jiayi nodded her head, proceeding to bother Renjun. Donghyuck wrapped an arm around her waist, making Ayeon look up at him. "Aren't you not supposed to do that?"

"It's just Renjun and Jiayi and neither of them really care." Donghyuck replied. Ayeon smiled, letting herself lean against Donghyuck's body.

"Oh yeah, when are we going to go out together?" Jiayi asked, turning to the two.

"Us?" Ayeon asked, pointing to herself and Donghyuck. Jiayi nodded.

"Yeah, I forgot to ask you about it but when you're free, Jiayi wants to go out for dinner with us, Winwin, and Renjun." Donghyuck told her.

"I thought you guys couldn't be seen with non-phoenixes." Ayeon pointed out.

"I don't really care about those dumb unwritten rules. They're unwritten for a reason." Jiayi said, making them chuckle.

"Our project is due tomorrow at 6 so after then?" Renjun suggested.

"Cool, I'll let Sicheng know." Jiayi said, taking out her phone.

"Angel, it's getting late, are you ready for me to take you home?" Donghyuck whispered in her ear.

"Yeah, I'm just going to quickly clean up first and we can go." Ayeon replied. Donghyuck nodded, placing a small kiss on the top of her head before ruffling her hair.

...

Ayeon held hands with Donghyuck the entire way to the parking lot. She couldn't help but think about Mark and how much Donghyuck must be hurting inside.

"Ayeon, you seem tense, what's wrong?" Donghyuck asked her.

Knowing that she couldn't lie to the male, she let out a small sigh. "Renjun told me about Mark."

Donghyuck was silent as he let go of her hand to lean on his bike, crossing his arms. "He did?"

"Well to be quite honest, I asked." Ayeon told him. Donghyuck nodded.

"Well, it's alright. I suppose you would have found out one way or another." Donghyuck said, passing her the helmet.

"You're not mad?" Ayeon asked, taking the helmet from his hands. Donghyuck shook his head.

"No, of course not. Just a little surprised but a part of me is glad that Renjun told you. I don't think I-" Donghyuck's voice cracked.

He looked down, clearing his throat out and blinking a few times before looking up again. "I don't think I could have told you without breaking."

As Ayeon looked into his eyes, she knew that Donghyuck was already breaking inside from the thought of Mark. She instinctively wrapped her arms around him, giving Donghyuck a warm embrace.