Chapter 12

Ayeon was happy. It had been a week or so since the alleyway incident and she still didn't really see Donghyuck around but that didn't stop him from constantly messaging her and giving her the occasional voice recording.

Donghyuck had even finished one of his songs, sending the whole file to her. Ayeon was addicted to it. Donghyuck's voice simply made it splendid and she had it on repeat for a long time.

Although it was quite sad that she couldn't see nor spend time with him, she knew that they were making an effort.

One day, Renjun had walked into class and placed a folded piece of paper on the table in front of her. When Ayeon opened it, she realized it was a love letter from Donghyuck.

Ayeon couldn't help but smile as she read it, and soon she was writing one back, sketching a little cartoon of the two of them in the corner.

She gave the note to Renjun and soon, the exchange was an everyday occurrence.

Ayeon had also kept her word with Minhyung. If she was staying late at the college, she would ask Minhyung to drive her home after he had finished work. But Ayeon felt bad for doing this so instead, she would just go to school earlier to get as much painting done before class and bring whatever she could home to work on.

Ayeon soon learned that Minhyung was just the type to worry about those around him.  Minhyung didn't seem to have many friends, or any friends at all, which probably explained when he was so careful with her. He was a quiet boy but definitely a kind soul, so Ayeon soon found herself befriending the male.

Ayeon was waiting in class for Renjun, sketching in her sketchbook, when a male approached her.

"Hey, are you doing anything this weekend?" The male asked.

Do I even know you?

The male didn't wait for a response and slid her a small piece of paper with an address.

"There's a party this weekend at the frat house. You should go, a lot of students will be there." The male told her.

"Um, alright." Ayeon said, taking the paper and placing it in her bag. She noticed that the male hadn't left yet and realized it was because Renjun was standing beside him, waiting for him to leave.

Renjun had a glare on his face, showing how annoyed he was. The male bit his lip before passing the paper to Renjun as well.

"I-I don't know if you want to come but the Phoenixes are more than welcome." The male stuttered.

Renjun took the paper from his hands, dropping his glare.

"We'll think about." Renjun said, taking a seat. The male nodded and quickly scurried away. Ayeon tried her best not to laugh.

Renjun quickly turned around and exchanged Donghyuck's note with hers before turning back around, as if nothing had happened.

Ayeon smiled as she took Donghyuck's note, placing it in her pocket to read later.

...

Donghyuck was sitting on his motorcycle, waiting for Jeno with the rest of Dream in the parking lot of the Emperor's Court. He was staring at his phone, texting Ayeon.

His wound still wasn't fully healed but it was good enough for Jaemin to let him go around. He had also ditched the annoying crutches a long time ago.

Donghyuck hasn't seen Ayeon for a while, aside from the occasional glance in the halls. He had tried to make up for that by showering her with messages and voice recordings, which she seemed to love. He had even sent her the first song he had finished for school.