𝟚𝟛.

The last few days I'd spent with Jamie were a bit awkward

The last few days I'd spent with Jamie were a bit awkward. After I'd initially cried myself to sleep, I'd woken up feeling kind of numb. The trip to Vegas had uncovered a lot of things that I wasn't sure I'd ever wanted to uncover.

My best friend became my lover and boyfriend. I'd met my biological father who was also in a polygamous relationship with Jamie's boss. On top of all of that, Jamie's first client is a man that wants a romantic relationship with me. Not only does he want that, he's also married and has kids.

Rhoen's called me a few times since I've been back in Boston but I haven't picked up. He's also texted me and I haven't responded. The same goes with Jamie. He's called and texted me but I haven't answered him. I don't know what to say to him anymore. I used to just call and talk about my days, but these days all I'm doing is moping about our ruined friendship. I don't think he really wants to hear about that.

I let out a sigh as I eye the elderly secretary sitting in front of me. Betty is her name and I'm going to guess she's retiring soon, probably the reason for her position being available. I'd been a secretary before, once even to Jamie's father. That hadn't lasted long after he'd made a few passes at me though, not that I'd ever tell Jamie about that. He was already sensitive about the topic of his father's extracurricular work activities.

I feel my phone buzzing in my purse and I reach in to grab it. It's Rhoen again which makes me let out another sigh. I want to talk to him but it's too soon after everything that's happened with Jamie. I know the type of relationship he wants from me and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Actually, I know I'm not ready for that, especially considering the other factors that would be involved in that relationship.

"Mr Edison will see you now." Betty says with a warm smile.

I stand up, straightening out my skirt as I do. I feel a slight nervousness flutter through my stomach as I walk through the door. I'm met with a set of dark green eyes, chestnut hair, and a warm smile. He's much too young to have this position. He's only a handful of years older than me.

"Hello," he stands and automatically holds out a hand to introduce himself, "I'm Cole Edison."

"Amelia Lemieux." I grab ahold of his firm grasp as I stare into those handsome eyes. He gives me a breathtaking smile before releasing my hand and gesturing for me to take a seat.

"It's nice to meet you, Ms Lemieux." He shuffles around with a few pieces of paper on his desk before finding the one he was looking for. "Seems like you've got quite a good background and experience for the job. You've a degree in accounting. Why haven't you pursued that?" His eyes flash back to mine in question.

"Well, I may have a degree but I'm not really sure if that's exactly where I want to be."

"It could pay you exponentially more than Betty's job." I cock my head to the side, taken aback by his words. "What I mean to say is that we also have a position in our accounting department. I think your knowledge would be best put to use there." I open my mouth and then close it, not knowing what to say. His eyes probe mine for a minute longer before asking, "have I offended you?"