𝟛𝟛.

I've been preparing dinner robotically for the past hour or so

I've been preparing dinner robotically for the past hour or so. Rhoen still isn't home from the office yet and I'm glad for that. I don't know how he's going to react when he finds out what happened between Diana and I today.

I had tried to act professional with her, even after her initial slight. I'd brushed it off and had tried to introduce myself with confidence for who I am, my skills and title. But, I'd eventually had to excuse myself because Rhoen's ex-wife was savage, to say the least. She didn't care who I was professionally and definitely care about what I had to offer.

I look around the house and think back to her words. What a lucky young girl to get the man I groomed him to be. Must be nice to steal a man away from his family. Good thing you're smart or people might think you're a gold-digging whore. I quickly wipe the tears away from my eyes.

I'd never been referred to as a whore in all my life but Rhoen's wife must've said that particular word a handful of times. Rhoen was separated when I'd met him. I didn't steal him away from her. He was in the last process of getting a divorce when we got together. But somehow that makes me a money-grubbing, family-wrecking whore.

When Rhoen and I had started looking for homes together he told me that people would start talking. He'd laid it all out for me, trying to prepare me for the possible shit-show that would come my way. That once we were living together that rumors would fly because, even though he and Diana had been separated, they weren't public about their split. Up until the day of their divorce had the two of them kept up the facade.

So, said shit-show was thrown directly in my face. I was the media scapegoat for why the Rearicks got their divorce. I felt like I was in high school all over again with all of the rumors and lies.

I hear the doorbell sound off in the distance and wipe my hands on my apron. After a few deep breaths, collecting myself, I head off to answer the door. Once I open it I'm met with a smiling Jamie, holding a bottle of wine. The moment he sees me his face automatically falls.

"Amelia, is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I step aside, gesturing for him to come in and he does. I look out the door seeing no one else behind him. "Where's Adriana?"

"Something came up at work so she's staying late." I nod my head and then he looks around much like he'd just done. "Where's Rhoen at?"

"He should be home any minute now." I walk into the kitchen and grab the pan full of enchiladas, sticking it into the oven afterward.

"Smells delicious." He takes another deep breath saying, "I'm starving."

"Thanks, I'm glad you're hungry. I just hope it comes out as good as it smells. My minds been a little all over the place since this afternoon."

"I'm sure it has." I hear the cork of the wine come out and when I turn around I see Jamie pouring us both a glass of wine. "After that meeting this afternoon I can only imagine. Don't let that woman's words get to you, Mellie. You're not any of those things she said or the tabloids say. Diana just seems like a bitter bitch."