𝟛𝟙.

"My family adores you, you don't need to be nervous

"My family adores you, you don't need to be nervous." I say, with a wide smile. "Seth and Rae said you were a super nice guy. Monica thinks you're the sweetest. Even the twins like you. There's no reason to be nervous. Everyone there likes you." I give his bicep a reassuring squeeze.

"I'm not nervous." He pulls into the driveway of Mr. Travers' house. "That's not what's bothering me."

"Okay, so then what is bothering you?"

He puts the car in park and then looks over to me with a sad expression. "This is the first Thanksgiving I won't be spending with my kids."

"Oh." I don't know what to say to that.

"They've been acting out since Diana and I told them we were getting a divorce. Even more so now that the divorce is finalized." He stares out the windshield looking frustrated. "When I officially moved the last of my stuff out this week I think it finally became real for them." He lets out a heavy sigh as he leans his head against the head rest. "I traveled a lot before so it's not like I was around all the time but I wasn't absent for a week or two at a time, like I am now. I think moving my stuff out made it all the more apparent, especially to my eldest."

I feel riddled with guilt as I ask, "is that because you're in Boston more often?"

"Not necessarily." He doesn't say anything else which makes a new question build in my mind.

"It's because of me, isn't it? It's because you're in Boston with me." He gives me a slight nod. "I'm sorry, Rhoen."

"There's nothing to be sorry about. I just wish we lived closer to one another." He doesn't say anything but he lets the words sit in the air.

It's a conversation we've had a lot recently. I don't want to leave the east coast and he doesn't want to leave Nevada. And I understand that. His kids are there. His business is there. His life is there.

"You know how I feel about moving to—"

He holds up a hand, cutting me off as he says, "I'm more than aware, Amelia. No need to get into an argument about it right before Thanksgiving dinner."

I feel a touch of aggravation flow through me. "Who said we had to argue?" He cocks a disbelieving brow at me. "Fine. You're right."

"Let's go."

We both exit the car but just as we do another set of cars arrives in the driveway. The first car I recognize as Seth's. The second car I don't recognize at all. It's got Florida plates so I'm going to assume it's a rental of some sort. That or we have some unknown relative that lives in Florida.

"Who's that?" Rhoen asks.

"That's a good question. I have no idea." I answer as the cars pull right up alongside the two of us. Everyone I'd expected to come out of Seth's car does, except Monica and her boyfriend. They actually come out of the back of the other vehicle. Then, to my complete shock, Jamie gets out of the driver's side.