𝟚𝟡.

The moment I'd heard the knocks at the door my post-orgasmic haze was completely ruined

The moment I'd heard the knocks at the door my post-orgasmic haze was completely ruined. There is only one person who'd show up unannounced like that. So, the thought of Rhoen answering it, especially after just eating me out, not to mention the fight they'd gotten into today, makes my anxiety bubble up.

"Rhoen, I don't know if you should answer that." His lips purse as he cocks his head to study me quizzically.

"Did you invite someone over? A specific someone that would have a problem with me being here?" It's almost like he knows Jamie is at the door.

"No, I didn't invite anyone over." I throw my legs over the side of the couch and start shimmying into my clothes. "But no one I know knows you besides Jamie." Another series of knocks rap against the door.

"I won't answer it if you don't want me to." He fixes his appearance, tucking in his dress shirt back into his black suit pants. "It's your apartment, after all." He looks around, seemingly a bit lost.

"Just have a seat, Rhoen." I give him a quick peck on the cheek before heading over to the door. After checking the peephole my suspicions are confirmed. When I open the door I feel my stomach drop.

Jamie's eye is a series of gruesome hues and slightly swollen. Rhoen had given him quite the shiner. There's a cut on his cheekbone as well as a few other scrapes and bruises here and there. All anger I'd had with him previously completely leaves me.

What had these two done to each other?

"Hey Mellie." He finally says, giving me a slight smile.

"Hey Jamie." The tension that hangs in the air between us is almost palatable.

"I'm sorry I just showed up like this." He rubs his hand through his hair and looks off to the side before saying, "but since you won't pick up my calls or answer my texts I figured I'd just show up." He blows out an awkward breath then looks back at me. "Do you have a minute?"

"Uhm," I look over my shoulder quickly to see a tense Rhoen on the couch, "now really isn't the best time, Jamie." Once my gaze goes back to his, I see him looking over my shoulder as well. I know he can't see him but I know he knows who's inside.

"Oh, uh yeah. Some other time then." He shoves his hands in his pockets, looking uneasy. "I guess I'll just be going"

"No, Jamie stay." My eyes widen as I hear Rhoen's deep voice from behind me. "I was actually thinking about going for a walk to pick up some dinner anyway. Why don't the two of you catch up." Jamie is looking over my shoulder with the same confusion I feel. "You want food from that little Italian place you like so much?"

I look over my shoulder to him and give him a soft smile, "yes, that sounds great."

"Alright then, it's settled. I'll be back in a bit." He gives me a swift kiss on the forehead before walking around Jamie, leaving the two of us alone.