𝟛𝟝.

The ending to that dinner had been a strange one

The ending to that dinner had been a strange one. Jamie had worn a melancholy face toward the end of it and had to quickly excuse himself soon after eating. Rhoen had made a comment about how odd it was but I had a feeling I knew what it was about.

Right before Rhoen had came out of the office Jamie had looked like he wanted to say something. He never said anything though. He never brought it up again, even when Rhoen had to step out again to answer another phone call. He just kept conversation light and casual. It would have appeared normal if I didn't know Jamie like I do.

I hear a knock on my office door and push my seat back before going up to it. Once I open it, i see a man on the other side with a set of dark green eyes and chestnut hair. He gives me a guilty smile before asking if I have a minute to talk. I look at him with hesitation before nodding my head for him to join me in my office.

"How's everything, Mr. Edison?" I ask as I close the door behind me.

"You can call me Cole now, Amelia. You no longer work for me." I walk around him and go to take a seat at my desk.

"Okay, Cole." I pick up a pencil and tap it a few times on the desk before saying, "so, what can I do you for? Is your sister here to take another go at me or?" His features fall automatically. "Or are you here to do it this time?"

"No, god, no." He shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "I had no idea Diana was going to come here and speak to you that way. If I knew she was going to come in here and act like that I never would've let her. I mean, for fuck's sake, the initial tabloids were already bad enough without Diana being Diana on top of it."

"When you say Diana being Diana do you mean Diana being a bitch?" I deadpan which makes him frown.

"Diana is a good woman, Amelia. She's just struggling right now." I let out a disbelieving snort at that.

"Spare me, Cole." I wave a hand at him dismissively. "If you're here to justify your sister's behavior you can think again."

"I'm not. I'm here for her and Rhoen." I cock a brow at him. "Amelia, if you're going to be with Rhoen you're going to have to learn to deal with Diana. She's the mother of his children." He said it like I wasn't already aware of the fact.

"She called me a whore a good amount of times, Cole. How could you send her in here when you knew she knew next to nothing about our business arrangements?"

"She said she wanted to get to know the woman Rhoen was sleeping with before they'd finalized their divorce." I don't say anything to that because I honestly don't know what to say to that. Before their divorce finalized we'd slept together and started out relationship. "So, while you were working for me, back in Boston, you were sleeping with him, right?"

"That's a terribly inappropriate question to ask, Cole." He fidgets uneasily in his chair as he looks anywhere in the room but at me. I let out a sigh and answer him, "yes, Rhoen and I were seeing each other. I knew he had a family too. Yes, I knew it all and we'd still had an intimate relationship. Yes, maybe they were still legally married but they'd been separated for a long time, Cole."