Peyton - The Look

"You look stupid in a t-shirt."

"Excuse me, I look comfortable." He shuts the door behind us.

"Dads gonna have a fit when he sees you're not wearing a dress."

I roll my eyes and get in the passenger seat of the car, "Well he's just gonna have to live with it." I buckle my seat belt as the car backs out of the driveway.

"You didn't tell me John was Jewish."

"He isn't." I laugh, "Why do you all think he is."

"He has the look."

"The look?" I laugh.

"Yeah, dark hair, the face. The look."

"And do I have the look?"

"Well your dirty blonde hair means a no."

•••

"Hey!" His voice croaks.

"Hey Daddy." I sit in the rolling chair next to the bed.

"Hey missy. Hey Wy-man." He welcomes us both with our childhood nicknames. "Where's the kids? Your wife?"

"They're with Auntie. And Marissa's with John."

"You brought that son of a bitch?"

"Daddy...don't say that. People don't find that funny."

"What? In the real world?"

"Yeah, in the real world."

"How're they treating you in here Pops? Food good?" Wyatt walks around inspecting the room.

"As can be expected."

After a few hours a nurse comes in, "Hi, I'm sorry but visiting hours are over."

I sigh and kiss his cheek, "Don't die on me now Daddy."

"I'll try," he croaks back. I walk to the doorway while Wy says bye to our Dad.

He catches up to me, "what now?"

•••

"I can't believe you talked me into this." I say, getting out of the back seat where me and John were.

"I can't believe you even brought us here." Marissa laughs. "Do you remember this place Tonny? My god."

"What is it?" John asks. I grab his hand, "growin' up this was the place to be."

"Tonny had her first kiss here." Wyatt says mockingly.

"Excuse me, my first kiss was in the swamp. I had my first date in St. John's."

He rolls his eyes. We walk into the restaurant, seeing it just as it was when I left.

"Is that the Arizona's?!" Someone calls behind us. We turn around to see a group of people we went to school with. We hug and say hi to each of them.

"Who's that?" Mandy asks me, pointing to John awkwardly standing behind us. Mandy is my best friend, who I still talk to almost everyday.

"Oh," I call him over, "Mandy this is John. John this is Mandy."

"The John?" She leans forward, talking in a hushed tone.

"The John," I confirm, saying it equally as low.

She stands up and hugs him. He reluctantly hugs her back. I laugh at the two of them. "I have heard so much about you." Mandy gushes letting go of him. "I mean, it's took you long enough." He awkwardly laughs. "Do you know how long I had to hear about "cute SNL guy? And then after you left, all of those people she messed around with. I was honestly worried about her health-"

"Ok!" I stop her. "Thank you for that Man..." I stare at her. She puts her hands up in innocence.

"Peyton Manning?" I turn around and see Drew standing in the door way.

"Drew Brees?!" I exclaim, walking towards him for a hug. "What's up? I didn't realize you came back home."

"Well not all of us have the luxury of leaving."

I scoff, "Really, what have you been doing?"

"I run a roofing company in town."

"Really? That's so great."