John - Chip and Salsa

"Where's Salsa?" I look around for the red dragon holding a taco that she named salsa.

"I have him..." She whispers, her warm small body against mine in her bed, even though she'll come into mine in the middle of the night.

"Goodnight Chip and Salsa..." I kiss her forehead, tucking her in the full sized bed.

"Where are going Dada?" She groggily whispers.

"I'm just going to brush my teeth, then I'm coming back. Ok?" I lie, since I know she'll be asleep in 2 minutes.

She nods and I kiss her head again. I click the baby monitor on, and try to go down the carpeted stairs quietly.

I get to the living room where Peyton is sitting on an arm chair. She runs over and kisses me, at first I kiss her back, but pull away, "Believe me, I want to do this. But we need to talk first."

She puts her arms down, "About what?"

"If we were just married, then I would be understanding, maybe a little disappointed. But we have a daughter. Who has stopped asking about you, because she's learned that I don't know the answer."

"I just got home John..."

"Is that what you call this place? Funny since you're never here."

"I know, I know, but I'm so busy. And I really
need this show to take off."

"For your career or The Emmy?"

"Of all people you should understand this."

"Well, no. I don't because I was gone from her for 2 weeks, and I called every night. And I didn't even have alcohol to help the fact that I thought my parents were killing my kid that point in time." I put my hand on the counter for support.

"I work John-You work!"

"No, no, I don't think you really believe that's the case. I believe you believe you work. But what I do is waste our money on flying around places for some gigs."

"I never said that."

"OooOoh," I sarcastically laugh with my words, "you didn't have to. Do you even know her favorite color?"

She scoffs, "Pink."

"Purple, because it reminds her of her mumma." I cross my arms, "Do you know what she wants to be when she grows up?"

"A princess?"

"Supergirl, what about what she calls Mac and Cheese? Mac-a-nock-i's. She's also obsessed with Nutella, and she acts exactly like my father, so I called her Chip one day, and that's all I'm allowed to call her now. And she has a stuffed dragon, holding a taco named salsa. So when I put her to bed I have to say 'night chip and salsa'."

She eyes widen and she chuckles, "She is adorable."

"And intelligent, and hilarious, and the best kid I've ever met. And if you don't learn to take a break, you are going to miss the rest of her life the same way you missed the last 4 years." I grab the other side of the monitor and take a step up to the second floor, "Oh. She's 4, if you didn't already know from the birthdays and holidays you've missed."

"John-" I climb up the stairs before I can let her talk anymore.