Chapter Twenty Three

= Blake =

My life was pure bliss.

It's almost been a year since I married Camilla. A year since I became a husband. A tough year where I remained stubborn for a while with a stick up my ass about the marriage being a thorn on my side. Now, I felt nothing but happiness when being with Camilla. We've been hanging out and talking more often. Getting to know each other and just enjoy one another's company.

Ever since my break up with Vivian three months ago, I've felt lighter. Free. Like a weight was taken off my shoulders and I was able to be more like myself. With Camilla, that was what I felt. Like myself. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I glanced up from the documents I was sorting when I heard three firm knocks.

"Come in."

The door opened to reveal someone whom I thought I wouldn't see for a while after Camilla's birthday.

"Hey Niall," I set down the papers and pushed them aside. "What's going on?"

As usual, he doesn't show anything except for through his eyes. He seemed a bit troubled and yet comfortable on being here. His usual crisp white uniform was a bit wrinkled and his hair was messier than usual. Now that I look at him more properly, his face was a bit flushed. I'm starting to worry a bit. Niall is never flushed. He doesn't even seem to break a sweat after a harsh workout as much as I do!

"What? Can't I see what my eldest brother is doing?"

"I'm your only eldest brother."

Niall sighed and ran a hand through his hair. Oh shit, something bad must be going on. He plopped down onto the couch near the wall on my left, something he never did even when he hasn't slept for three days on a mission.

"Okay Niall. What's wrong?"

I can hear him sigh with annoyance and frustration.

"It's something stupid that I did," he mumbled. "I never thought I'd ever do something like this. I even swore that I wouldn't feel this way."

I rose a brow, confused. "What are you talking about?"

He groaned as he sat back up and faced me, disheveled.

"It's your wife's best friend. She's so irritating. For some reason, she keeps coming over here. She would pester my men at the Southern Gate until they call for me to kick her out, because they know that she's a friend of Camilla's. And every time I get there to let her in, she'd pester me. I asked her if she was here to hang out with Camilla, but she keeps saying that she wants to be with me. I don't know what that is supposed to mean!"

Once Niall finished ranting, his chest was rising and deflating from his harsh breaths. You can tell that he was worked up by this girl. But why? He usually doesn't have anything or anyone get to him like this.

"So, she likes you?"

He scrunched you his face. "What? No? She's just annoying me."

I hummed and smirked at him. My little brother has a secret admirer. Except, not a secret-secret.

"Are you sure? Did she ever say that she liked you?"

His eyes went dazed for a bit, thinking back to any moment he's had with her probably.

"Maybe once. But that was a joke."

"Are you sure it was joke? She could've been serious."

He threw up his arms. "How the heck am I supposed to know? Women are crazy."

"But men are crazier when they are in love."

He frowned at me. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

I chuckled and turned back to my documents.

"That's for you to find out and for me to enjoy watching with a bag of popcorn."

A brow rose as he stared at me with confusion.

"By the way, which friend is it?" I asked.

He looked up at me. "Alice."

I nodded and hummed.

"She seems nice. She's a good match."

"What do you mean she's-"

"Your highness!" Niall and I'd head shot up to see a frazzled maid who was painted for breath.

"You're supposed to knock before entering your prince's study," Niall said sternly. He was back to commander mode.

The maid bowed deeply. "I-I'm terribly sorry, but it is very urgent. Your wife has been harmed!"

I grabbed my coat and threw it on.

"Where?" I asked.

"In the garden."

And that was when I ran out to find her with Niall and the maid trailing behind me.

~*~

"Camilla!"

I ran into the garden to see Camilla crying while being held by two maids who tried to calm her. Her whole body was wet and was shaking with either fear or from the cold.

"Camilla!"

I went up to her and grabbed her shoulders. The maid immediately letting her go and stood on the side.

"What happened?"

Camilla continued to cry and I pulled her into me, uncaring that my shirt and pants were getting soaked. I looked over at the three maids who stood bowed slightly.

"What happened?"

One of the maids answered.

"S-someone pushed the princess into the pond. Before anyone could see her face, she ran off."

"She?" Niall asked.

The maid nodded.

"Yes, she also wore a servant's uniform. However, she wore a maid's cap, so we couldn't see her face when she turned and ran off."

What she said was true. Our female employees here never wore maid caps. They symbolized that they were considered to be low rank and insignificant. But my parents thought that they deserve to be respected and treated as equals. So they never allowed them to wear caps after my grandparents passed.

"Did anyone catch her?"

"We don't know. We did see two guards run after her, but I don't know if they caught her or not."

"I'll check in with all of my guards at each gate. I'll report to you immediately once I find something." After that, Niall was off on his mission.

"Prepare a warm bath for her in my bedroom. And quickly."

They bowed and ran off to do their job.

I turned to look down at Camilla who was now just sniffling. She felt cold and was trembling still.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly.

I heard her sigh and took in another shaky breath before nodding.

"I'm gonna bring you up to take a warm bath, then rest. Is that okay with you?"

She nodded and I picked her up and carried her up to rest. Once I find out who did this to her, they're in for a lifetime of pain for harming not only the princess of Jade Kingdom, but also my wife.