Chapter Thirty-Nine

Upon instinct, I began to flail my body around, breathing harshly through my nose. I even raised my leg and stomped on the person's foot as hard as I could, a loud hiss gliding through their teeth. 

"Calm down Camilla, it's me."

I felt my heart fall with relief as I slowly regained my focus. My body went lax as I tried to calm myself through the deep breathing exercises. Thank goodness I tightened my towel around me or else I would have embarrassed myself in front of Niall.

"I need you to calm down. Blake sent me here because he had come across something dangerous within the palace. I need you to listen to my instructions carefully."

I slowly nodded, my ears perked with interest and concern. 

"Someone has infiltrated the palace and has injured some of our men. Unfortunately, Blake was one of them who was injured but he is fine and is being treated in the hospital wing," Niall added before I could freak out.

I breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Based on the intruder's actions, it seems like they are headed your way. I will be taking you out of here and take you to the safe house. I will have some of my trusted knights stationed there to protect you. You will not be allowed to leave unless I say so. Do you understand?"

I nodded slowly. Someone was out to kill me? Who would benefit from such a thing?

"I am gonna let go of you now, but you need to remain silent. Do you understand?"

I nodded once more before he slowly drew himself away. I immediately brought my hands up to my towel to keep it from falling since it came loose once he stepped away. Niall was considerate when his back was already turned away from me when I glanced his way. 

"I won't look at you. You need to get dressed before I can send you there. I would recommend that you find something comfortable to wear before going."

I nodded, but then noticed that his back is turned away from me. "Okay. I'll be right back."

"I'll be listening."

I silently stepped out of the bathroom carefully and then proceeded to my closet quickly when I noticed no one was there. Then how did Niall get in here? Did I even lock my room door?

I felt a cool breeze flow over my now shivering body. I glanced over to see the curtains flowing gently from the opened window. I guess that's how he got inside. That's strange though, how could Niall even fit through tha-

"Kyak!"

My head was pulled back and the edge of a shimmering blade pressed itself against my neck. The cold metal sent shivers through my body, my breath hitching, and my heart stopping as if ready to explode. 

My eyes instantly shut, bracing. 

Blake!

"Guh!"

I couldn't help but freeze as I felt the blade glide across my neck then clattering on the floor the next second. My body grew cold as I felt the warm liquid begin to flow lightly down my neck. I thump of a body sounded from behind me, but I couldn't summon the courage or energy to turn around. 

A strange scent began to fill my senses, a metallic iron-like scent. It didn't seem right and it only made my stomach churn in disgust.

Niall's face instantly appeared in front of me, worry written across his face. His eyes darkened when he saw something on my neck. Most likely the liquid I feel that only continued to flow. I couldn't hear Niall's voice, but it seemed frantic as he suddenly appeared with a thick white cloth. He pressed it against me, but I didn't know what happened after that when I fell into darkness.