Chapter 9 - Listening in

Staggering into your room with the help of Nat, Wanda and Steve stayed to make sure you were alright. Nat took your pyjamas and handed them to you, just a standard oversized shirt and some shorts.

"Will you be ok?"

"I'm a big girl," You pat her cheek and close the bathroom door. Silence passes before a crash, bang and somehow a cat's screech filled the room. Steve rushes to the door and bursts it open. "There was a kitty cat on the window!" You giggle, holding the black feline.

"How did a cat get up here?"

"I'm... actually not sure," The cat jumps out of your arms and runs out the door.

"Bye bye, Lokitty!"

"Did she... just name the cat after Loki?" You give a nod as Steve hoists you up and into bed.

"We can take it from here, Cap," Wanda pushes Steve out the room and closes the door quickly before he could say another word. "You think what I'm thinking?"

"She's drunk enough," Nat turns to you, who was playing with the trim of the oversized shirt. "Hey, N/n?"

"Yes?"

"Do you want to tell us about your letters?" You grin and nod.

"A, B, C, D, E-"

"No... we meant the ones you got during the war," Wanda tries to mask her snicker as you realise what they meant. You stand up and slide under your desk, peeling back the wallpaper you put in the code and finger scan. "Smart," You take out the letters and put them on the ground.

"Here you go!" The opened letters scattered the ground as the girls dived for them. The front of each letter said the same;

For my best girl

The girls stare in awe as you giggle and open the letters.

Dear Y/n,

I just got to the base. I miss you so much, I'll be sure to write to you as often as I can. Take care of that punk of a brother of yours since I'm not around to do so. You're strong and what every woman wishes to be. I can't wait until I come home to you, be ready for the biggest hug you will ever receive. I think the hardest part of this war will not being able to see you...

Sincerely, Bucky x

The girls read over the letter again and again as you stared at a fly on the wall. The moved onto another letter.

To my Doll,

First week over! This must be getting to you late considering how far away I am. I hope you miss me as much as I miss you... Scratch that, considering that's impossible! The guys here are horrible and dirty, I miss your baking and how you scold me for leaving around clothes. There was a shooting star last night and all I wished for was to see you sooner... Though that may not come true considering I just told you. I'll write again, don't worry.

All my love, Bucky x

More and more.

To my Y/n,

I'm headed to Italy, first fight! Not excited to be further from you, Doll, but I have to serve the country. Hope you and Steve are doing well. I think this is the most I have ever missed you... just a little while more and I can you again! Just you wait, I'll be home with flowers just for you, though you may have flowers for me... leave that at home, don't want the fellas knowing I have a soft spot.

Miss you loads, Bucky x

"That was just before Steve saved him from the Hydra base," You crawl back to the safe and take out a small pressed flower between a napkin. "He sent this with that letter," You mumble. "When I didn't get a letter for a while I worried, thank god Cap was already on the way,"

"That's beautiful," Wanda takes the flower carefully. You nod and take out Bucky's dog tag.

"This was his second one, he gave it to me days before he died, always kept it on me," You sniffle, wiping away a tear that dropped on the metal.

"I never understood why you wen't under the ice..." Wanda hands back the flower.

"Peggy, I owe it to Peggy," Nat quirked a brow as you continued. "I was there when Steve turned into the Cap we know today... She gave me an opportunity after seeing me use a gun, 'quite skilfully' as she put it,"

"So you worked in the military?" You nod.

"Short while, I was part of it all, knew things others didn't, was there for every bit... Proved myself to everyone, helped my brother out with plans, though I always stayed behind the lines because Stevie would never let me go out into action!"

"I don't think anyone would," You send a playful glare at Nat who smiled.

"Anyways, I was always behind the lines until the Hydra raid. Steve flipped when he found out I was there, and more so when I followed him onto the plane," You laugh lightly. "Had a bad feeling when Steve went... If something went wrong with Steve... I had no one left,"

"What about Peggy and Howard?"

"They would do their own thing, leave me behind, I just know it..." Nat pulled you in for a hug which Wanda was quick to join. "If I didn't go under everyone I loved would be dead! My brother and the man I loved all gone I would quite literally have no one..."

"No, no, Y/n, you would have people," You were full on sobbing at this point, shaking your head in denial.

~~~

"Clint, did you get the microphone in?" The boys stood around the device that was set up.

"Yup," The archer made his way out the vents and back to the rest, everyone including Steve was listening in.

"Lets get this thing started," They listened in through the whole conversation. Each bit, hearing a few mumbles from when Nat read a few lines from the letter out loud, though none of them letting on who this mystery man was.

"Come on... whos the guy?" Sam narrows his eyes pleadingly at the device.

If I didn't go under everyone I loved would be dead! My brother and the man I loved all gone I would quite literally have no one...

"Should we be listening to this?" Vision suddenly inquires.

"Yes," The group says quickly. Bucky stood back, listening from afar, deep in thought. Something about these letters were familiar. Something- The line suddenly went silent.

"What happened?"

"Boo!" The entire group screams like little girls. "You guys are assholes, don't you understand privacy?" Nat tosses the microphone to Clint.

"No, now who was the guy?" The girls zip their lips as everyone else groans.

"And don't bother trying to get those letters," Natasha warns the lot who nod in fear and scatter.

~~~

Yes

Yes.

- Anna ❤️