Chapter 32

The last time Xiang ChangKong walked down these stairs with Xu Lian, he had shrunk to the side and clutched at the handrails for fear that he would accidentally bump into Xu Lian. Now, as he walked through the same narrow stairs with her, Xiang ChangKong felt much more relaxed and less restrained.

He turned towards Xu Lian beside him and said: "Sorry, my mother's like this with everyone. I hope you don't mind."

Xu Lian shook her head. "When I visited your home last time, Xiang Nuan already mentioned that auntie wasn't in good health." At the time, Xu Lian thought it would be impolite to inquire about other people's illnesses, so she didn't ask. But now that her relationship with Xiang ChangKong had changed, even if she didn't ask, he would still take the initiative to tell her.

As they exited the building, Xiang ChangKong wondered where he should take Xu Lian. His neighborhood had all the necessary things to facilitate a passable living environment, but if we're talking about a place worth strolling around in...

After a while, Xiang ChangKong asked her: "Where did you park your car?"

"Over there." Xu Lian pointed towards the open court, and sure enough, her car was parked on the painted concrete.

"Do you want to drive somewhere else, or do you want to walk around here?"

Xu Lian rarely came into this neighborhood and wasn't very familiar with it. "Is there someplace we can walk around in?"

"There's a small park out front, but there's not much in it." Xiang ChangKong replied. The park only had a few simple fitness equipment which was mostly used by the elderly and sometimes children.

Xu Lian didn't mind. The weather today was lovely, and sitting in a park to chat and bask in the sun sounded nice. "Let's go there. I don't feel like going far."

So the two set off towards the direction of the park. On the way, they happened to pass by a tea shop, so the couple ended up buying two cups of milk tea.

Half-way through their milk tea, they arrived at the small park. The park really was quite tiny; you could see the end of the park at a glance. But there was still a good amount of people in the park. The bright sun made everyone feel warm and happy.

"There's a place we can sit. Let's go." Xu Lian pointed towards an empty bench nearby and beckoned Xiang ChangKong to follow. As they neared, Xu Lian noticed a small rabbit-shaped decoration beside the bench. It was lovely. Xu Lian admired the small rabbit and was about to sit down when Xiang ChangKong stopped her. "Wait, wipe the bench down first. You're wearing a white sweater, don't get it dirty."

Xiang ChangKong wiped the bench seat with his hand and found no dirt. It seems that someone had sat on the bench just moments before.

"Use this." Xu Lian felt for a tissue from her bag. She took Xiang ChangKong's hand, wiped it for him, then bent down to wipe the bench seat. "Alright, you can sit down now."

Xiang ChangKong's face had turned a little red when Xu Lian wiped his hands. He took the tissues Xu Lian had used and went to a nearby garbage can to throw it away. When he turned back, Xu Lian was already sitting down on the bench, the milk tea straw in her mouth. Noticing that Xiang ChangKong was looking at her, she smiled.

Xiang ChangKong felt his ears turn red. He walked towards the bench and sat down next to Xu Lian. He coughed awkwardly. "Cough, you're dressed differently today."

Xu Lian replied: "Well, I was going to meet with the elders. I thought it'd be better to dress a bit more properly."

Xiang ChangKong coughed again and said: "You look good in whatever style you wear."