2.04 Chess

I begin to wake up probably half an hour later, still on the plane, seeing Erik set a chess board down in front of Charles. I feel much better since I've had time to cool down, and sleep it off.

"Fancy game? It's been a while." Erik sighs.

"I'm not in the mood for games, thank you." Charles coldly responds. Logan watches them as Erik takes glass and pours himself a drink.

"I haven't a real sip in ten years." Erik marvels as he sips his whiskey. "I didn't kill the president." Erik answers Charles's unspoken question.

"The bullet curved, Erik. Everyone's memory was erased." He argues.

"Because I as trying to save him. They took me out before I could. Y/n had to try to help somehow." Erik responds.

"Why would you try and save him?" Charles asks.

"Because he was one of us." Erik admits. Charles face looks shocked.

"You must think me so foolish. We've always said they would come after us." Charles sighs.

"I never imagined they'd use Raven's DNA to do it." Erik answers.

"When did you last see her?" Charles asks.

"The day she came back." Erik sighs as I sit up in my seat. Erik takes the seat opposite Charles.

"And how was she?" Charles asks Erik.

"Strong, driven, loyal." He responds.

"How...how was she?" Charles begs.

"She was...we were..." Erik pauses. "She didn't like my feelings for Y/n, but I could see why she meant so much to you. You should be proud of her, Charles. She's out there fighting for our cause." Erik sighs as I get up, pouring myself a drink. Logan watches us very closely, like he's looking for some sort of sign of who we are.

"Your cause. The girl I raise, she was not capable of killing." Charles argues.

"You didn't raise her, you grew up with her. She couldn't stay a little girl forever, that's why she left." Erik replies.

"They left because you got inside their heads." Charles snaps as I sit down next to them.

"That's not my power. She made a choice." Erik sighs.

"Charles, Raven was always going to make her own decisions, I could see it the moment we met. She's very headstrong." I explain.

"But now we know where that choice leads, don't we? She's going to murder Trask, they're going to capture her, and then they're going to wipe us out." Charles swirls his whiskey around in his cup.

"Not if we get to her first. Not if we change history tomorrow." Erik answers. "I'm sorry, Charles. For what happened, I truly am." Erik apologizes for everything in that statement. Charles looks at Erik with tears in his eyes.

"All of us, together, that will get her back. She will not find out you took my memories, that could compromise things." I coldly respond. Charles then finishes his drink and looks down at the chess set.

"It's been a while since I've played." Charles voice clears up.

"I'll go easy on you. Might finally be a fair fight." Erik smiles.

"You have the first move." Charles answers. Erik looks down and moves a piece using his power.

"I'm going to have to find a book...again...aren't I?" I joke and we all laugh, smiling at each other, reminding me of old times. I can see Logan observe our interactions with a lot of interest. "What is it Logan?" I ask him as he looks to make eye contact with me.

"I didn't expect any of you to be like this." He replies.

"Like what?" I chuckle as Erik and Charles are very into their game.

"Well, you're all different, normal. You, for one, are a sight for sore eyes, I can see why they love you." He laughs and puffs his cigar.

"Logan you're kidding yourself." I laugh, not believing him.

"Really," he leans forward, "Charles just admitted to loving you, and have you seen the way Erik looks at you." He points out. I say nothing in response. "See, told you." I move over to get closer to look at the chess match.

"Check mate." Charles smirks as Erik puts his hands back in defeat. "Great game Erik." They begin to laugh and down their drinks.

'We need to talk Charles.' I mentally project.

"Out, Logan, Erik, leave this room." Charles commands and they turn to us. Erik understands and leave as Logan reluctantly does. I go and take Erik's seat across from Charles.

"Y/n," he begins, "I am so, so very sorry. I wish that you find it in yourself to forgive me." I begin to tear up.

"Charles, I don't know when I will but here's what I needed to say. I am letting this go, for now. For Raven. We need a strong, united front to get her back. If she learns of what you did, she'd never retreat. I'm doing this for her okay? No one else." I reluctantly say and I can see he's getting a bit emotional. "And Charles, while we were apart, I figured out I can manipulate cells to regenerate. I'll fix your legs once you're off the drugs." I sigh and he looks confused. I begin to get up and walk away but he grabs my wrist.

"Please, stay." He begs, I can hear his voice waiver.

I sigh and turn back to him. "Charles, I'm not upset because you took away my memories. I understand where you came from. I'm not upset that you left me to rot in the pentagon even. I'm upset, because I love you too." I admit to him.

"What?" He asks, his eyes widening. He stands up and takes my hands.

"I said, I love you too, Charles Xavier." I cant help but grin this time. He moves his hands to my face and just looks with wonder. Charles then leans in and kisses me, I accept the gentle touch that I've been missing for so long. When he pulls away we both slowly open our eyes to smile at each other. My smile quickly fades. "You're not forgiven Charles, not yet." I remove his hand from my face and squeeze it, then I walk over to pour myself another drink. "Come back in boys." I say and they come in looking very confused. I pour four vodka shots at the bar. "Anyone want a shot?" I ask. "We're going to need it." I pass them out before anyone responds and we all down it willingly. It's been a rough flight, that's for sure.

"Strap in everyone, prepare for a landing." Hank tells at us.