2.08 A Better Path

Erik begins his speech. "You built these weapons to destroy us. Why? Because you are afraid of our gifts. Because we are different. Humanity has always feared that which is different. Well, I'm here to tell you, to tell the world, you're right to fear us. We are the future." Erik announces to the world. "We are the ones who will inherit this earth, and anyone who stands in our way will suffer the same fate as these men you see before you. Today was meant to be a display of your power. Instead I give you a glimpse of the devastation my race can unleash upon yours. Let this be a warning to the world. And to my mutant brothers and sisters out there, I say this; no more hiding, no more suffering. You have lived in the shadows in shame and fear for too long. Come out, join me. Fight together in the brotherhood of our kind. A new tomorrow, that starts today."

Nixon walks out of the safe room to approach Erik.

"Mr. President! Sir!" A guard shouts. His men grab him to stop him.

"Stand down!" He walks to face Erik and points at him. "You want to make a statement? Kill me? Fine! But spare everyone else!" I wake up at this time, near Erik to see it all happening. My head is pounding from pain. Inside the safe room Trask looks to his left and we see the real Nixon standing next to him, it doesn't take me long to figure out that Raven is the person in front of us. I slowly get up and brush myself off. My hand is on my head, trying to stop the throbbing. I try to quickly heal myself, but the pain is causing too much pressure on my brain.

"Very heroic, Mr. President. But you have no intention of sparing any of us. The future of our species begins now." Erik points the floating guns at Nixon, then as one of the Sentinels goes to grab Hank, he injects himself, he reverts back to his human form so the Sentinel backs off, instead it looks across at Erik and Nixon and it sees both as being mutant so it makes a run towards them, but Erik pulls it apart, at that moment Nixon takes out his gun, shoots Erik, which grazes his neck and then Nixon transforms into Raven. I knew it. "You used to be a better shot." Erik laughs, wiping the drop of blood off of his neck.

"Trust me, I still am." Raven says. She walks towards Erik and knocks him out. Then she turns towards Trask and pulls out her gun. I get flustered and try to heal myself again. I need my powers. I feel energy start to enter my brain, and the throbbing slowly stops. I read Raven's thoughts to see that Charles is helping her. I quickly rush over to Erik, and try to help him. I heal his neck wound quickly. As awful as he can be, I still love him, he's my best friend.

"Erik?! Erik!" I shout slapping him to try to wake him. Raven passes us on her way out. "There's no reason to care about him, it will only disappoint you." She looks at me, I have tears in my eyes. "He's all you're Charles." Raven pulls his helmet off.

"ALL of my friends have disappointed me, but you put us on a better path." I respond and her eyes widen, then are apologetic. Erik suddenly bolts awake and removes the metal objects off of Charles. He then, uncontrolled, turns to me with pain in his eyes. "Oh Erik what have you done." I sigh, standing next to him, and he looks apologetic.

"If you let them have me, I'm as good as dead. You know that." Erik turns to Charles as he approaches us.

"I know." Charles responds.

"Goodbye, old friend." Erik looks at Charles.

"Goodbye, Erik." Charles nods. Erik looks at me for a moment before floating away. Our faces are close, like they once were, and we just stare at each other. Acknowledging where we are at this moment. That I am staying, with Charles, it's always Charles. And he's leaving, and I shouldn't find him. I can't find him. His eyes say he loves me, but we know we have different paths. He leans forward and kisses my forehead, and floats away. Raven then turns and looks at Charles, Hank and me before turning to walk away. Her gaze lingers on Hank.