Chapter 5 - The Storm in His Eyes

On the way to Riverview High on the first day of my Junior year was terrifying. I hadn't yet seen Hunter or any of his family members, and I was starting to think he'd left Tennessee. I suppose that wouldn't have been so bad. I mean, then I wouldn't have to worry about any rekindled feeling between him and me.

Unfortunately, as I entered my first class, just as the bell rang, I felt all eyes on me. However, there was a set of grey-blue eyes that caught my attention, and there he sat. Hunter Sanchez staring directly at my face with a strong, almost angry, unwavering gaze.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that we haven't exactly been in touch lately, so he didn't know I was coming back, and he obviously wasn't happy about it.

I immediately put my head down and took a seat at the back of the classroom. Cue the teacher. "Good morning class!" She greeted, way too cheerful for the first day of school. Everyone mumbled back greetings but I stayed silent, too shocked about Hunter to say anything.

He was HOT. I mean he passed puberty and his voice should have gotten deeper, yada yada yada. But woah. He had such a chiseled jawline and he wore a fitted white shirt which really showed his abs and biceps. Damn..

"Now, we have a new student in class," Ms. Valencia, as her name turned out to be, said. "Saffron, dear, do you want to come and introduce yourself?" She asked. Before I could shake my head, Hunter answered for me. "Her name is Saffron Rhodes, and she just came back from Russia, where she stayed for 6. Freaking. Years." Now he turned to face me, his eyes glowing with anger and hurt. It looked like there was a storm in his eyes.

"She's in the Guinness World Records books for being the most decorated minor in the world. Her favourite book is Pride and Prejudice, and she's read the book, what, 87 times?" Heave me one more guilt-inducing glare and turned back to the front.

"Well, you certainly know a lot about Miss Rhodes, don't you Mr Sanchez?" Ms. Valencia mused.

"She was my best friend, what do you think?" He snapped and stormed out of the classroom, ignoring Valencia's calls after him.

I stared at the desk he sat at until I cared to notice the voices around me.

"Well?" One girl spat. She had platinum blonde hair, and seriously needed to know the definition of clothes and clowns; her face was caked with makeup and a towel would have covered more of her skin that she was covering now. "Go get him then!" She was rude and I could tell she was the Queen Bee so, not wanting to make any trouble, I just grabbed my bag and walked out after Hunter.

I had walked down 2 hallways and checked the library before I saw his feet poking from behind a tree. "Hunter?" I asked quietly. "Are you all right?" I made my way around the tree but he just ignored me, so I sat down next to him. "Look." I crossed my legs and fiddled with my hands. I wasn't wearing my glasses, so I tucked my hair behind my ear. " I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was coming back. I couldn't really bring myself to do it, and I know it was wrong, but I just knew you wouldn't want to see me, especially after the letter." My voice got quieter in the end, remembering the silly letter I wrote to him. I looked back up to him to see his eyes already on me, and, if I'm not mistaken, I saw a flash of feeling in his eyes, before they turned angry again.

"Well, Saffron," He said. I flinched at his harsh tone, but he didn't relax. "You thought right. Who would want to see you again?"

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, ok, it's just-" I was cut off by the lunch bell and a trio of practically naked girls appeared in front of my ex-best friend. "Hunter, baby, I missed you.." She was the girl from class. Wait. Baby? So he did have a girlfriend. He stood up from sitting by the tree and she placed a hand on his chest, not so subtly glancing between him and me. I rolled my eyes.

"Why don't we go inside?" She asked, already pulling his arm. Hunter glanced at me and curtly nodded at the girl, walking away with her.

Well, that went well.