Chapter 12 - To the edge of Glory

I warmed up backstage pondering why Ms. Valencia called me Saffron Sanchez. She knew perfectly well that my name was Saffron Rhodes, NOT Saffron Sanchez! I tuned in when Ms. Valencia was calling my name, correctly this time. I put on my performer's smile and rushed out onstage on demi pointe just as the music started. I closed my eyes and danced like my life depended on it, I flowed with the music and only opened my eyes as I was spinning to the Edge of Glory; or the edge of the stage.

I tried to stop, but I had carried too much momentum with me to stop in time. I shut my eyes, braced myself and waited for the impact, but it never came. Slowly, I opened my eyes and the entire room was in a state of shock. I realized I was in a perfect Fish Catch Dip with my hands crossed in an x in front of my chest. But with who? I looked up to see Hunter's stupid smirking face. "Hello there Saffron Sanchez. I love the outfit." He grinned and I rolled my eyes. He put me down and everyone seemed to wake up from their imaginary trance. Ronnie and Chloe were the first ones to rush over, and suddenly, there was a circle of people surrounding me. Ms. Valencia came over to see if I was okay and I was bombarded with questions from Ms. Valencia, Chloe and Ronnie. I decided to ask Ronnie what she and Hunter were doing here on the way home.

All of the other girls stared at Hunter and Will, who had just come over,  the girls probably trying to figure out what it would take for him to catch them when they fell; it seemed they were willing to fall off a cliff, if it meant Hunter would catch them, while he just stood there, uncomfortable with the eyes of so many hungry sharks on him.

...

After assuring Ms. Valencia that I was okay, she announced that she would tell us who got into the team next Friday, but she kept eyeing Hunter and I with an impressed look. Hunter, Will and Ronnie waited outside while Chloe and I changed and took off our pointe shoes. "Hey, do you want to come over?" I asked Chloe as we were walking out.

"Sure! I'd love to see how you and Hunter handle sharing a room, I just need to text my dad." She winked at me just as we walked out of the auditorium.

While Chloe texted her dad, I told Hunter Chloe was coming with home with us. We walked home and Chloe seemed to hit it off with Will; they were laughing and smiling. I totally shipped them now. I asked Hunter what he was doing here. "Well, I may have heard you and your mom arguing about a certain dance team audition, and Ronnie wanted to see." He shrugged like it was nothing. I nodded.

Finally, we arrived at my house, and before we parted ways, I heard Cloe say bye to Will, even though they were still going to be in the same house. I pulled Hunter aside. "Thanks. For saving me." I said. He just nodded.

"Anytime princesa." He walked away with Will and I turned to Chloe, who had a huge grin on her face and was staring in the direction Will disappeared at. I shook my head and laughed, dragging the lovesick puppy to my room. "So whipped."

"Am not!" She woke up from her trance and we laughed as we stumbled up the stairs.