Chapter 30 - Prepare

We're getting nearer to the end! 

"Releve, plie, go through demi, grand plie. Good job girls!" I had just finished with my class today and I was nervous. Since I was now fully awake and dancing, I just realized that today we were meant to drop off our costumes for the recital. Which was tomorrow. The fact that it was December and freezing was not helping the fact that we were super nervous for the most important performance of our lives.

I took Ronnie home and I ran up the stairs to gather my costume and dance gear. I ran to the auditorium and dumped my things in my changing room.

...

The next morning, Chloe came over and we did our makeup together in the studio/basement. "Can I borrow your eyeshadow?" She asked. I handed the palette over and she began to brush it over her eyes. With the whole Will and Chloe situation, I had no idea how they were going to do their duet, but they would have to; for the good of the team, they would. "So," I asked. "Are you excited?" I continued applying foundation to my face.

"For what?"

"The performance."

"Not really." She said indifferently. I stopped with my makeup.

"What? Why?" I asked. "You said that it would be the first recital your dad's seen in forever! How could you not be excited?"

"You know why." She said quietly. Then, I realized and pulled her into a hug. We returned to our makeup in comfortable silence and changed into our costumes. Chloe's was a smoky black dress with only one long sleeve. The skirt hung round the back, exposing her dark gray leotard underneath. We headed to the auditorium and waited for the audience to arrive.

Then, the dancers went to Ms Valencia's office backstage and met with the others. She gave us this huge speech about 'killing it' and we all huddled and cheered. We stretched and the first duet took their place on stage. Ms Valencia was stressed out, and we were all super nervous. I wanted so badly to hang out with Hunter, but I couldn't leave Chloe alone. So we leaned against Ms Valencia's desk and waited.

Eventually, the only people who were backstage were Will, Hunter, Chloe and I; the others had already done their duets and we were simply waiting for our turn. 'You're up next,' I told Chloe as the IT guy came in to give the 5 minute warning.. "Are you ready?" She hesitated for a moment, but then nodded strongly. When she looked up, there was a newly lit fire in her eyes that took me by surprise.

"I think I am," She said. "You were right Saff, my dad is here with Marianela and I'm gonna perform my best. Will will not ruin this for me." I let out a breathless laugh and pulled her into a hug, tears pricking my eyes. She was so independent and I just-

"My baby's all grown up!" I joked and, for the first time since their breakup, she laughed. "Now go before I start crying." She hugged me one last time before she went to the wings of the stage to perform with Will. After they went and the audience cheered, Hunter and I shared a look and we hurried after them, watching from behind the curtains. 

a bit of a shorter and more boring chapter, but the next one will be better trust me ;)