Chapter 17 - Learn to Lie

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I'm back! hehe.

At 6:30am on a Wednesday, mind you, Hunter and I arrived at the Riverview High auditorium tired, but ready. We entered the room and Ms Valencia told us to stretch. "Stretch?" Hunter exclaimed. "I can't point my feet without it hurting! Coach! Tell her!" Coach simply shrugged.

"Sorry kid. When Melissa makes up her mind, she makes up her mind." He groaned.

"I'll help you, Hunter, calm down." I went into a second position grand plié. He just stared at me. "Well come on then!" He copied my movements and we continued to stretch. After a few minutes, I threw my hoodie into my gym bag and told Hunter to do the same, so he was in a loose white top with shorts, and me a leotard and sweatpants.

"All right you two!" Ms Valencia had been watching us stretch intently and I had no idea why, all I was doing was helping him stretch, staring into his eyes, his beautiful eyes.. God! I had to snap out of it! "Let me explain the gist of the routine. The story you're trying to convey is that 2 best friends are in love, but they won't admit they're in love with each other." Hunter and I tensed up as she eyed us both. "There will be quite difficult lifts and you both will need to develop a connection to be able to convey the story and make the lifts, got it?" We both nodded. "All right then, let's get it started."

...

"No no no! I need emotion! You guys aren't giving me a story! Again!" We had been doing the dance non stop since 7am and it was now 10. The story was about two best friends in love, but they wouldn't admit it. And the worst part was, we had to kiss at the end.

I hadn't ever really fallen in love with anyone, let alone my best friend, so I didn't know what feelings to express. I mean, I did have Hunter as my best friend, but that seemed eons ago. Currently, I associate myself with dancers; that's why Chloe and I got along so quickly.

"Ms Valencia, I don't think either of us know how to express feelings we've never had. I've never fallen in love before!" I was panting and sweating through my leotard, so tempted to change into a sports bra.

"All right." Ms Valencia sighed and sat down on one of the auditorium chairs. "You guys are done for the day, meet me here tomorrow," We sighed and plopped down next to our bags, grabbing our water bottles. "But," We groaned in sync. "I will need you two to become best friends again, I can see that you are both capable of it, but you need to reach into your hearts; bring your feelings to the surface." See glanced briefly at Hunter and I sat there puzzled for a second. Then what she said really sank in. And I mean really sank in.

"WHAT! NO!" "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" Hunter and I jumped up and were pacing and listing everything - and anything - we could think of to protest against what our teacher was saying. "OW!" We bumped into each other while we were pacing and fell straight onto our butts. Ms Valencia stifled a laugh.

"Yes, you can. Why? Because I said so. Now pack up your bags, shower, and go straight to class!" Ms Valencia left with Coach Gleeson and Hunter and I just crossed our arms and pouted. I could practically hear Chloe shaking her head and laughing; you guys are exactly the same.

"Oh shoot!" I groaned; I just realized I hadn't brought a t-shirt. Stupid me.

"What did you forget now?" Hunter, who was just heading to the showers, turned; he knew me way too well.

I sighed, not believing I was actually going to admit this. "I forgot my shirt." I mumbled. Still, with his "perfect hearing", he managed to hear me and laughed so hard his face turned red and he appeared to be crying. I scowled and gave him my best glare and he immediately stopped laughing. I smirked in victory.

"Here." He threw a t-shirt in my direction, making it hit my face. I rolled my eyes and tugged it off my face, it smelled of apples and cinnamon. The scent filled my nose; it seemed the best smell in the entire world. I muttered a thanks and ran to the girls changing room.

...

"Soooo?" Chloe and I were walking down the hall to Ms. Valencia's Chem class and she was bugging me about the dance. Hunter and I had been avoiding each other since the morning and Chloe seemed to make it her mission to find out what happened in the auditorium.

We walked into Ms Valenica's classroom and I groaned. "Chloe." I stopped and turned to face her. "If you stop asking me, then maybe I'll actually be able to answer you!"

She lifted an eyebrow and crossed her arms. "Saffron," She shook her head dramatically. "Sweet, innocent, Saffron. You do realize that I know you're wearing Hunter's t-shirt right?" I looked down and blushed; I'd completely forgotten about that. "Now, please, please, please, PLEASE, tell me what happened! I wanna know." She pouted and I sighed in defeat.

"Ms Valencia wanted me and Hunter to practice our duet because it's extremely difficult." I mumbled. "Then I forgot my shirt, so Hunter gave me his." I shrugged.

"Mhmm." Chloe nodded and continued her interrogation. "Then, why are you and Hunter avoiding each other."

"What?" I looked everywhere except her eyes and clutched my books harder. "I-I don't know what you're talking about." Just then, Hunter and Will entered the room and I dragged Chloe to the back as the bell rang.

"Yeah. You're a terrible liar." Chloe whispered. I groaned and put my head in my hands.

 I really needed to learn how to lie.