Chapter 11 - Saffron Sanchez?

BTW, Carlos Acosta's daughter isn't actually called Chloe, I just made it up. And Carlos Acosta is actually one of the best male ballet dancers in the world.

Today was the day I had tryouts for the Riverview Dance Team and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to concentrate with the guilt of yelling at my mom riding on my shoulders. My mom offered to drive me to the auditorium for tryouts, and I agreed. I was sitting shotgun while my mom drove. The radio was broken, so the only thing we heard was the air conditioning blasting through the car. It was extremely awkward. "Hey mom?" I felt like this was the right time to apologize. She hummed in response, not taking her eyes off the road. 

"I, um, I wanted to apologize for yesterday. I shouldn't have yelled, I just- I was panicked I guess. But still, I shouldn't have yelled at you, you were only trying to help me! I-" I was cut off by my mom; she was laughing and I just sat there dumbstruck. 

"It's okay Saffron, I understand where you were coming from. You were nervous, and I was a little pushy." We arrived at the auditorium and she stopped. "Good luck honey. You'll be perfect, I just know it!" I smiled and exited the car, running to the entrance so that I could stretch before my audition.

I gave the dance coach, who just so happened to be Ms. Valencia, my name - not that she needed it - and the song I needed and took off my sweatpants so that I was in a simple black leotard with an open back and ballet tights. I slipped on my pointe shoes and tied the ribbons neatly, made sure my bun was secure, and began stretching. "Um, excuse me?" A voice said. I was in second position, in a forward port de bra, and I could see a person's feet right behind mine. I pulled my body upright and turned around. A small brunette girl, probably a junior - like me -, stood in front of me with a piece of paper in her hands.

"Can you please help me find the bathroom? I'm Chloe, I'm new here." She said.

"Of course. It's to the right, at the end of the hall. I'll come with you." She smiled gratefully and we took off to the bathroom.

It turns out that Chloe was the daughter of Carlos Acosta. That's right. THE CARLOS FREAKING ACOSTA! Totally not one of the best male ballet dancers in the entire WORLD!!

We ended up warming up together and we were so engrossed in getting to know each other, I didn't realize when Hunter and Ronnie came in with Hunter's friend Will. They stood inconspicuously in the corner of the room and stayed silent. "All right dancers!" Ms. Valencia called all of us to the center of the room and told us how the tryouts were going to work. "So, we'll start in alphabetical order. Chloe Acosta, please make your way to the stage withTori Amanda and Stella Anderson on standby." We all dispersed and everyone went to their respective places. Chloe made her way on stage and when the music started, she danced the Kitri Variation from Don Quixote almost flawlessly. After her dance, we discussed the school and our lives, not paying attention to any of the other performances. I told her about Hunter and she told me all about her dad. She said that her father divorced her mom and got custody of her. He spent most of his time with Marianela Nunez since he had most of his performances with her. "This may sound inappropriate considering he's your father and all, but honestly, I've always shipped Marianela and Carlos." I said.

"You know, me too." I was surprised she did too. "I actually tried to get them on a date once and it almost worked." She shrugged.

We were laughing like crazy when my name was called. Well, actually, it wasn't exactly my name. "Saffron Sanchez? You're on standby." I stopped laughing and Chloe whispered "Isn't that Hunter's last name?" I nodded slowly and went backstage with a blank face, I could practically feel Hunter's smirk. It was as if he was in the auditorium too. Curious..