Chapter 29 - Nightmare

i'm back!!

Hunter's POV:

Saffron suddenly started thrashing next to me and was screaming "Stop! Stop! Please no!" I instantly knew she was having a nightmare and tried to calm her down.

"Saff. Hey Saff!" I shook her shoulders and she woke up, instantly throwing her arms around me and started sobbing into my chest. I wasn't wearing a shirt so I could feel her salty tears flow down my skin and I adjusted her in my arms so that she was in my lap. "Shh," I soothed her and pushed her hair back from her face, pulling her closer to my chest. "Wanna talk about it?" I asked.

Saffron's POV:

The man I was supposed to call my father stalked towards me, a condescending aura to him and a deadly look in his eyes. I pressed myself against the wall and shut my eyes, waiting for the belt to make contact with my skin. When it did, I screamed for help and was grabbed by my neck, my feet dangling in the air as I struggled for breath. "What did I say about screaming?" He hissed. "Your punishment is the basement." He threw me onto the ground and kicked me to the basement. When we were inside, he slammed the door shut and moved to get a sharper and thicker whip. "Stop!" I yelled as he approached. "Stop! Please no!"

I was shaken awake and I finally took in my surroundings. When I realized I was with Hunter and in the Rhodes house, I broke down and sobbed in relief. I threw my arms around Hunter to make sure he was real and sobbed into his hard chest. He pulled me into his lap and pushed my hair away from my sweaty face. Eventually, I calmed down and he asked if I wanted to talk about it. I was ready and I told Hunter about my past, about my biological father and my mother. I told him about when The Rhodes' came to adopt me and all of what happened in my life until I met him when we were in school.

After my little speech, I sighed and closed my eyes, resting my head against Hunter's bare chest. "I've never said any of that out loud." I whispered.

"Well then I'm glad I'm the first person you've told, Saff." He pulled me closer and hugged me tighter. "I think it's time for us to go back to sleep, no?" He asked softly. I hummed, already half asleep against his chest and he chuckled, gently laying back against his pillow and allowing me to snuggle up against his chest. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close. I closed my eyes and felt a comfort I haven't felt in years.

...

The next morning, I awoke with Hunter's arms wrapped tightly around my waist, his breath puffing softly against the back of my neck. I rolled around to face him, and I took the chance of him being asleep to actually look at him for the first time since we were 11 years old. I traced my fingers gently over his eyelids, down the bridge of his nose, over his pink lips and down the side of his face and to his chiseled jawline. I let my hand linger there for a second, cupping his cheek and staring at his flawless face. Then, his eyes fluttered open and he grinned, his grey-blue eyes brightening as he scanned my face. I smiled back and he chuckled, pulling me towards his chest and hugging me tightly. "Good morning." He buried his face in my hair and I blushed. His morning voice was raspy and I could have sworn it was the sound of the angels. I pressed my forehead against his bare chest when I realized something. "I have to get to work!" I shot up and ran to the bathroom, grabbing my clothes on the way. I changed, brushed my teeth, tied my hair in a ponytail and grabbed a hoodie to go over my leotard. I stuffed my pointe shoes in my bag, along with some bobby pins and my demi-pointes, a water bottle, and my phone. I rushed out of my room, smiling at a baffled Hunter and slid down the stair railing to save time. I grabbed Ronnie's hand and we ran to the studio for her lesson, and my job.