Chapter 7 - My new family

I stopped daydreaming and found myself staring at the adults, who were too deep in conversation to notice me. They were talking about the fire and whatnot, while Sterling tried to comfort Ronnie; she did seem rather shaken. I was going to go to the kitchen to get some food for everyone, but someone called my name and stopped me. "Saffron?"A voice asked. It was female so I expected to turn around to see Mrs. Sanchez. Instead, I turned around to face Ronnie, her terrified eyes relieved when they saw mine. "Oh Ronnie!" I gasped. "How are you holding up? You've grown so big!" I sound like my mother. I thought. I pulled her into a hug and she gladly hugged back.

She opened her mouth to answer, but we were cut off by my mother, her face stern.

"All right, everyone!" She called in her family-meeting-voice as everyone took seats on the couch or on the floor. I sat on the floor by the door in a middle split; I tried to inconspicuously clean up my mess while listening to the announcements. "As we all know, the Sanchez family have been caught in a fire, and we want to help. So. They will be living with us for a few months, a year tops, until we can sort everything out." The adults were silent, but Sterling, Ronnie, Cameron, Hunter and I had our jaws on the floor; I almost stabbed myself with a needle. How could they just do this without consulting us first? It was our lives after all!

I was just about to protest, but my mother's glare shut me up. It was almost like she knew I was going to protest; what can I say? Protesting is my talent. "Now," She continued. "Sleeping accommodations." Now, this was something I was curious about.

"Luckily, Silver and Jacob have left for college, so that leaves us with an extra room and two less people who need to live in this house. Isabella and David," She said, turning to Mr. and Mrs. Sanchez. "You will sleep in Silver's room. It has a king bed, so you guys should be comfy. Ronnie, you'll stay in our spare bedroom. It has a single bed, so you should be able to fit. Cameron and Sterling." She continued, addressing the two younger siblings. "You can share Sterling's old bunk bed and finally," She was almost done! "Saff, you and Hunter are the oldest and the most responsible at the moment,"

Okay, 1. Hunter? Responsible? Pfft. And 2. I didn't like where this was going. "and we trust you to share Saffron's king bed." My evil mother concluded the announcements, the finality in her voice leaving no room for discussion.