Chapter 59: A Fleeting Meeting

I published the wrong chap earlier >.<
---

Headmaster Fan's eyes formed into crescents, then he gazed outside the window watching the leaves fall.

"Soon, these bones will wither like the leaves of these trees. But after the winter comes new sprouts of spring."

Fog seemed to cover the old man's eyes.

"This one is aware how feeble our people are. Our oldest records even tell that one day, when the line drawn between Huo Ai and and Great Han collapses, these lands will perish!"

Hearing this, Yemin's pupils shrank. How could someone from Zhong Xin know this? Moreover, if this old man knew this and regarded it as truth, why wouldn't he warn the other nations?

The headmaster bitterly smiled.

"This old man knows we are nothing in your eyes. While my ancestors sacrificed so much for the powerless... the mortals. My lineage still prevents me from doing some things. That is why we can only move in the shadows."

Yemin finally couldn't hold himself. This headmaster was talking about actions as dictated by his descent. The only ones who could do that...

"Headmaster's forefathers--"

"Yes, they were from Huo Ai. They dictated that this land should forever be protected by their sons and daughters so here we are. Even the rise and fall of dynasties can't break that oath. We've become generals to revolutionaries, ministers to merchants."

Fan Saiweng could see that the duke's attendant couldn't believe what he was saying. It was that hard to accept that a clan of Huo Ai would choose to live in Zhong Xin.

The air had little spiritual energy and they had to mingle with mortals. Yes, that was how they called people who live outside Huo Ai.

The barrier separating Huo Ai and the other nations wasn't just the invisible one created by the ancestors but also, the difference in abilities. The former had the ability to rise to the heavenly realms while the latter... the chances were just too pitiful.

An ordinary person that couldn't cultivate in Huo Ai could live more than a century but outside, living up to sixty for a commoner was already fortunate.

On the other hand, those that could cultivate had the possibility of achieving greater things.

Ascension.

That was everybody's dream in Huo Ai.

If one had the chance to ascend to the heavens, would they still choose to leave? Yemin wondered what could be attained by leaving.

So even if the headmaster looked truthful, Yemin's face was still of disbelief.

"Does Sir need my genealogy record?" Headmaster Fan inquired with a constricted face.

Yemin jolted from his seat. "No... if Headmaster can tell the surname of your ancestor?"

But Fan Saiweng shook his head. "Our surname has been changed multiple times as the dynasties changed in order to survive."

Even if Yemin wanted to know the Headmaster's true roots, it had already been lost in the test of time.

Just as the headmaster was losing hope from this conversation, Yemin uttered powerful words.

"Alright, I understand. This one will ask the Headmaster to swear in the name of the goddess of the truth you spoke today. Only then can we hear your request."

Opposite to the effect Yemin wanted, Headmaster Fan's expression relaxed.

"The duty passed from my ancestors, the Goddess Cai Xie has witnessed it. There's nothing to hide, may the goddess guide us."