Chapter 2

A/N I made this edit!

Draco pov

1st September

I got my letter shortly after Mother's big reveal. I thought I had bad luck before but it's beyond that now. I'm Headboy and Granger's Headgirl. Over the summer, I collected as much information on Granger and Sirius Black as possible. Most of it was praise for the former and hate for the latter -even after Potter cleared his name. However, as stalkerish as this feels I found an article in the Quibbler about an interview by my Ravenclaw cousin, Luna Lovegood -how strange are our names, one who 'Loves Good' and one who's of 'Bad Faith'. Anyway, mental distraction, Luna asked Granger in the interview when her birthday was, Granger said September 19th. I spent a week telling myself it was a coincidence until I found myself staring at pictures of Mother, Sirius and Granger and saw a faint resemblance.

I see Granger with the Weasleys and Potter getting on the Hogwarts express.

Mother catches me staring. "Draco, are you going to tell her?"

I hesitate then say "I will at my own pace Mother. We may share blood but a lot of it is bad blood. I need to fix that before I drop such life-changing news."

Mother smiles, "Smart. It's quite obvious you two are siblings."

I chuckle dryly, then wave goodbye and get on board. When I reach the Heads compartment. I take in a deep breath then enter and sit across from Granger.

"Malfoy," she says as politely as possible.

"Granger," I reply in a similar tone. There's an awkward silence then Granger breaks it abruptly, "Harry and Ron are not very happy about this arrangement."

"Understandable," I say trying to hide the nervousness in my voice.

"But I'm going to give you a chance," she explains.

My eyes widen as mask smashes, "What did I do to deserve that?"

"Harry was the Boy Who Was Chosen," she begins. "You're the Boy Who Had No Choice. So I'm choosing to give you a chance and now it's your choice to put it to good use."

I pause, not sure how to react. I sigh then say "I'll try my best" then stand up and walk away.

"Malfoy?" she calls to me.

"I'll be back in 10 minutes," I say then walk to the Ravenclaw compartments in search of my wayward cousin.

I finally find her sitting alone reading the novel I lent her two weeks ago. "Draco!" she says happily. "I haven't finished the book just yet, Father took me to Romania to admire the dragons. I started it this morning, I should be finished by this afternoon."

"You could have just come to the Manor," I chuckle as I sit down next to her. "I'm the perfect specimen to study, Draconis Malfoyis."

She smiles "I did tell him that, but he said "even for a Slytherin that nephew of mine does not have enough scales to categorise as a specimen for the Quibbler."

I laugh, "Did Granger tell you about her plans for me?"

She nods, "She seemed very happy with herself and content, there wasn't a wrackspurt in sight."

"Which reminds me," I say. "Don't let the 'nargles' take that book."

She nods then rests her head on my shoulder, "How come you visited today? You don't normally talk to me out in public." I can hear the hurt in her voice.

"I have to tell you something," I say quietly. "But you must not tell a soul!"

"Not even the wrackspurts?"

"What about the Thestrals?" I shiver at the name, I've always been able to see the beasts, so has Luna. I was with her when her mother died.

"Okay, just the thestrals," I nod. She smiles at me happily. I breathe in then tell her the events of this summer.

"That's so amazing Draco! I'm so happy for you!" she squeals.

"Thanks," I say then yawn, "I need to sleep," I say absently.

She smiles then shuffles slightly moving her head so I can rest mine on hers, "Thanks Luna," I mutter and then we both drift asleep.