Ch.6 Ferret vs Weaselette

Third Person

Hermione is sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall next to Ginny and some seventh years.
It is Saturday and a Hogsmeade weekend. Ginny wants to talk with Hermione about going to Hogsmeade together however, she noticed Hermione is staring at Draco, she is not pleased.
Suddenly, Luna approaches Draco and they talk to each other so Hermione starts eating again.

"'Mione," Ginny says abruptly. "Why were you staring at the ferret?"
Hermione swallows her toast then says, "Draco told me earlier that he was planning on turning Zabini's hair pink during breakfast, I tried to convince him that it was a stupid waste of time, so now I'm just making sure the message actually got through. "He's been smirking at me for the last five minutes so I'm guessing he's just enjoying that I don't know if he's going to do it or not."
"Oh," Ginny says suddenly picturing Zabini with pink hair then shakes it off and says "I was wondering if..."
Luna skips along to the Gryffindor table, "Hermione," she sing-songs. "Draco wants to know if you want to go to Hogsmeade with him. He said Scrivenshaft's got a new fictional book section."
Hermione's eyes light up, "Sure. Why didn't he come here himself?"
Luna giggles, "He's rather afraid of Ginny." Ginny smiles proudly as Hermione laughs. "He's afraid of you as well," she continues. "I do believe Aunt Cissy said the only female he isn't afraid of is me."
Hermione laughs louder and Draco took that as a good sign, Ginny, however, realised that she couldn't ask Hermione to go to Hogsmeade with her now.

Well actually, she could have just asked Hermione if she could tag along and Hermione would have instantly and happily have said yes, but Ginny is a Weasely and Weasely's hardly ever do anything rationally.

After breakfast, Hermione and Draco head back to their dorms to get ready. "Is Luna coming with us?" Hermione asks as she brushes her hair.
"No," he replies. "She said hasn't finished every book in the library yet."
"And you have?" she says as she struggles to tie up her hair.
"Yes," he nods then waves his wand and wordlessly casts a holding spell on Hermione's hair from the doorway.
"What are you doing?" she exclaims as she let's go of her hair.
"Helping," he shrugs.
Hermione sighs then ties up her hair with less struggle then the holding spell is released.
"Thank you Draco, that was very kind of you."
"You are very welcome."

After this, the duo makes their way to Hogsmeade, armed with two bags full of Galleons, unbeknownst of the red-headed seventh year who is following behind them.

"You're absolutely not paying for my books Draco!" Hermione exclaims, shocked at his suggestion halfway to Hogsmeade. "I forbid it."
"Why ever not?"
"Because even though I may not be as well off as you, I do have my fair share of wealth."
"And?" Draco questions. "We're friends now right? And it's only normal that rich people buy their friends things for them no matter how much they protest. It's not charity but it's still a good deed on their part."
"You're making it very hard to argue with you know that right?" Hermione sighs.
"Did Potter not buy you things with his fortune?" Draco asks curiously.
"He bought the entirety of the trolley on the Hogwarts Express in first year, but I didn't have any because he bought it for himself and Ron and I didn't hang about in their compartment."
"Ooh, I remember that the hag looked rather flustered when she passed me as I came out of the changing rooms."
"Don't call her a hag!" she scolds him.
"Is that it?" Draco asks ignoring her scolding.
"He funded the Weasley twins joke shop with his prize money for winning the Triwizard tournament."
"And let me guess, he buys decent presents." She nods sheepishly. "And you stayed friends with this stingy toad why? Wait don't answer that, 'I wasn't friends with him because of his money. Harry's a great friend. He's my best friend.' My dear Hermione, it has been said 100s of times, those boys wouldn't last two days without you. They are practically leeching off you and then just happened to make a connection."
"What about your friends?" she challenges. "Don't they leech off you?"
Draco laughs, "Oh yes, 100%, the only people I know who don't leech are Blaize, Luna and you."
"What about Astoria? You said you don't need to tutor her?"
"Oh yes definitely her," he exclaims. "She maybe two years younger than me but she's eyeing a bigger prize, she wants us to get married so she can get her hands on the Malfoy fortune. I do enjoy her company though."
"Oh," Hermione says surprised. "Did you know Harry inherited Sirius's fortune?"
Draco shakes his head, internally infuriated. That was, in fact, Hermione's wealth by birthright.
"To think about it Harry is rather ungrateful, he inherited the Black family, House Elf Kreacher, he doesn't treat him very well, he does it just like Sirius did."
So she's met Kreacher, I'm surprised he didn't notice her connection to the Black Family, Draco thinks to himself.
"Shouldn't it have all gone to you?" Hermione points out. "I'm sure once I'm on good terms with Harry again, I can convince him to give you the keys to the vault. He's quite fond of Grimmauld Place so I don't think he would be so willing to give it to you. And Andromeda has Buckbeak and I'm 100% sure you don't want to own that specific Hippogriff."
Draco shivers at the thought.

They finally reach Hogsmeade and head straight for Scrivenshaft's and spend an hour exploring the new shelves and leave with only three books. The reason for this is that Draco and Hermione spotted a bunch of books that Hermione wanted but Draco recognised and realised he had copies of them in the Malfoy Manor Library and he promised he would get them for her during the Christmas holidays.
"Do you want anything from Honeydukes?" Hermione asks as they leave.
"Not particularly."

Suddenly, Ginny storms out of Honeydukes and up to the duo.
"Hermione Granger where have been?!" she exclaims.
"At Scrivenshaft's, where Luna said we'll be," she replies.
"For an hour?" she exclaims. "I thought Malfoy had killed you and buried you somewhere in the Forbidden Forest!"
"Thanks," Draco remarks sarcastically.
"Shut up Ferret!"
"Draco has not killed me," Hermione says calmly. "We just spent quite a while because shopping for books is, in fact, a lot more work than shopping for clothes." Draco sniggers. "Now, if you'll excuse us, Ginny. It looks like it's going to rain, so I want to go to Madam Puddifoot's  and get some tea and then Draco and I need to get on with our Head student duties."
"Hermione," Ginny says sternly. "You know I don't approve of your friendship with Malfoy. He's a Deatheater for God's sake."
"So was Snape!" Hermione retorts. "And you know the circumstances of Draco becoming a Deatheater and frankly I don't think it matters anymore."
"Thanks, Hermione," Draco whispers as he holds his right arm.
Hermione nods.
"Hermione being friends with Malfoy is going to drag your name into the dirt," Ginny warns.
She doesn't know the half of it Draco thought to himself. The minute the Wizarding World finds out Hermione's true origins her name will be in the headlines for weeks. Draco had promised Luna if Hermione agrees to speak to the public about it that he'd convince her to do another interview for the Quibbler.
"I don't care about the fame, Ginny!" Hermione exclaims. "I didn't want it in the freaking first place!"
Hermione grabs Draco's wrist and drags him along to Madam Puddifoot's.
Childishly, Draco turns around to face Ginny smirking then sticks his tongue out, further infuriating her.
When he turns back around Hermione says "Don't think I didn't see that Malfoy!"
"Sorry," he says sheepishly.
"What do you want from Madam Puddifoot's?" she asks as they arrive at the entrance.
"Um," he pauses then sees Romilda Vane drinking green tea. "Yeah, I'll have some green tea."
"Oh good, I'm getting some as well," she says then rushes to the counter to pay for the two mugs of green tea before Draco could offer to pay. When he realises he frowns "You're more slippery than the Weaslette."
"No, I'm just quick."
"And cunning."
"Hey don't lump me in with the Slytherin," she laughs as they sit down at an empty table.
Well, she is my sister, Draco thinks with an internal proud smile.

The next day, their trip to Hogsmeade is in the Daily Prophet however the duo shrug and burn the paper without a second thought.