Chapter 9

Draco Pov

There's a test in Transfiguration coming up in a few days and Hermione and I are studying hard in the library. We invited Luna to join us but minutes after she arrived, she claimed she had caught a glimpse of a nargle and had to investigate.

Hermione focuses intently on the book she's rereading. "What spell is that?" I ask her.

"It's supposed to turn things into magical or mythical creatures," she says still reading the book.

"What do you have to do?" I ask, remembering that Mcgonagall said this spell is an important part of the test.

"You have to wave your wand in a circular motion then say 'Fantasia...' then add the creature you want the object to turn into," she says. "For example, if I wave my wand at the chair and said 'Fantasia Pegasus...'"

Suddenly, the spell shot out and the chair transfigured into a majestic pegasus. I chuckle then wave my wand "Reparifarge" and the chair returns to normal.

"Yeah, that happens," she laughs.

"Why did you pick a pegasus?" I ask.

"It was the constellation I spotted during Astronomy," she explains. "Why do you ask?"

"Does the spell work on people?" I ask quickly changing the subject and peer over at the book.

"Yes but you know you're not allowed to use them on people," she warns.

I ignore her, "If I did it on myself and said 'Draco' would I turn into an actual dragon?"

"No," she says sternly. "It says it right here, you can't use the spell on yourself."

I pout then I switch to a smirk and point my wand at her, "What about if I did it on you? I could turn you into a thestral." Or a Pegasus like your namesake.

"Or I could do it on you and turn you into a hippogriff?" she retorts but doesn't pick up her wand. "You'll become the very thing you swore to destroy!"

Suddenly, a familiar voice quietly shouts "Expelliarmus!" and then another even more familiar says "Levicorpus!".

My wand is knocked out my hand and then I'm lifted into the air by my ankles.

"Hermione! Are you alright?" Potter asks as Weasley holds me in the air.

"We warned you that he was going to try and kill you!" Weasley cries. "We warned you!"

"You absolute plonkers!" Hermione hisses. "Let him down at once!"

They don't budge, I feel the blood rushing to my head.

She rolls her eyes then raises her arm to me and uses the other arm to point her wand at Weasley. "Expelliarmus! Mobilicorpus!"

Suddenly, Weasley's wand is expelled from his hand causing me to fall ever so slightly but Hermione catches me with her Mobilicorpus charm and then I'm turned the right way round and placed down on the studying sofa unharmed. "He wasn't trying to kill me," she hisses. "He was just mucking about."

"Didn't look like that from our side of the library," Weasley retorts. 

"That's because you're a plonker, Ronald," she says matter-of-factly as I pick up my wand.

"We said it before Hermione," Potter snarls. "Nothing good will come from being friends with the ferret."

He says 'ferret' like it's the worst swear word to ever leave his mouth. It most probably is.

"I'm sure you're aware Potty and Weasel, that as Head boy," I say with my signature smirk. "I can take House Points from you."

"Hermione will never allow it!" Potter says firmly.

I look at the girl in question and surprisingly she nods at me and my smirk widens "15 points from Gryffindor for attacking a student and on behalf of Madame Pince: 5 points from Gryffindor for violence in the library."

"Now boys," Hermione says to the jaw-dropped Gryffindors. "Why are you here?"

"We uh... needed help... studying for the... transfig test," Potter stutters.

"ABSOLUTELY not," she says. "Now run along, Draco and I have a test to study for."

"Since when were you two on first-name basis," Weasley asks weakly.

"Since my birthday," she replies. "I spent it with him in our common room."

"But he's deatheater!"

"3 points from Gryffindor for prejudice against students!" she growls. "Now go away before I take more points.

"This is your own house!" Potter yelps as he runs away and Weasley follows behind.

"Five points to Gryffindor for kindness, house unity and non-bias," I say with a smile.

"Can you believe them Draco?" she exclaims. "They just went and attacked you. Don't tell me its a reflex from the war because Fred and George played some crazy pranks on them over the summer and the only thing they did was jump when things came at them."

I chuckle, "Don't worry Mya, it's nothing I'm not used to, but you though, simultaneous spells and wandless magic very impressive."

She smiles but it doesn't reach her eyes, "I trust them with my life Draco. I am 20 years old and I trust idiots with my life. The same idiots for 8 years! And all they've ever done is be idiots 90% of the time." I suppress a laugh then a tear travels down her cheek, I put my arm around her shoulder, "Would you feel better if I told you: you just have to wait for a week and then it'll be holidays?"

"No, because the Grangers said not to come back to their house," she cries quietly, I look down at her shocked. "I have to stay at the Burrow with them." (them being Harry and Ron).

I hesitate as I take my arm off her then say "Luna and her Father are staying at the Manor for the holidays -Mother says Uncle Xenophilius is there a lot now because Father is you-know-where. I'm sure Luna will be happy if you came to stay as well."

She looks at me surprised "Are you inviting me over?" she asks.

"I guess I am, Aunt Andromeda and my cousin Teddy are coming over for New Years as well, Mother told me Aunt Andromeda is a very good Pyrotechnic so she said she'll teach us some firework spells."

"That'll be amazing!" she exclaims. "What about that 'room'?"

I know instantly what she's talking about "Mother uses it to store Malfoy relics and any pictures of Father. AND the dungeon is now a comfortable, hygienic living space for our house-elves."

She smiles, "What inspired that?"

"I used to tell Mother about S.P.E.W," I recall. "Mother thought it was a great idea but never acted upon it because of Father. Now he's gone along with so many other purebloods, the dungeon is now a House Elf sanctuary. They still work though, some even pick up litter off the side of a nearby motorway."

She looks so surprised I wish I could take a picture of her, "I would love to come then!" she says with a smile. "Five points to Slytherin for acts of House Unity."

"Wow, I never thought I'd hear you give house points to Slytherin," I say astonished.

"The minute I became Head Girl is the minute I became neutral. I can't favour any house, I have to treat everyone equally."

"Unless they're plonkers?" I add.

"Unless they're plonkers," she agrees with a laugh.