Chapter 3

Hermione pov

He didn't come back! He must be laughing at my stupid proposal with his mates.
I sigh then beginning Head Girl duties, individually telling the students in every compartment to get ready. (I asked a fourth year Slytherin to do the Slytherin compartments, not ready to face Malfoy).

When I reach the last compartment -which was a Ravenclaw one- I am shocked to find two white-haired students blissfully sleeping together sitting up. Said students being Luna and Malfoy (whom I was trying to avoid).
I'm not sure who to wake up first but I decide on Luna because she will have less of a negative reaction to being woken up. "Luna," I say gently. "It's time to get up, we're almost there."
Luna's eyes slowly open then she moves her head which then wakes up Malfoy.

He doesn't look surprised to see me.

"Luna what are you doing alone with Malfoy? Aren't you afraid of him?"
"No," she replies sleepily. "Why would I be?"
"Because of the dungeon during the war?" I point out.
"That was just for show," Luna giggles. "It was rather awful but Uncle Lucius didn't treat me too badly. Just enough to satisfy He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named."
"He did use to apologize an awful lot," Malfoy recalls. "Never apologized to me for the Hell he caused."
"Must be because I'm a girl," Luna says softly.
"Can you back up and explain what you just said?" I say abruptly.
Malfoy rolls his eyes, "Miss Granger, meet Luna Lovegood, my cousin. As per Pureblood custom her Father, Xenophilius whom was not an heir to the House of Malfoy had to take the maiden name of his spouse."
"I've known you for how long and you've never told me this MAJOR detail?" I exclaim to Luna.
"Please don't shout Granger, we just woke up."
"I'll deal with you later," I say to Malfoy, then turn back to Luna.
"You never asked," she shrugs.
Malfoy chuckles at her response. "I'm surprised you never guessed before Granger," he says. "Two pale, white-haired purebloods, living in the same country and going to the same school."
"Yeah, I was rather busy fighting Voldemort to put 2 and 2 together and make fish."
Both purebloods look at me bewildered then Luna giggles and says to Malfoy "If you turn one " 2" around then put it next to another "2" it makes the shape of a fish."

Malfoy pauses to picture it then smiles slightly, "Seeing as you're here Granger, I'm guessing you've already finished telling students what to do."
"Yes, however half of those students were your responsibility!" I scold.
He raises his hands, "Though I do apologize for the neglect to my duties, please bear in mind that I've had a busy summer, I'm catching up on sleep before we start studying for our N.E.W.T.S."
"You haven't started yet?!" I exclaim.
"I have!" the two white-haired students exclaim.
"I'm a Ravenclaw," Luna points out. "Of course I've started studying."
"And I have a bitter second place rivalry with a know it all Gryffindor," Malfoy says looking at me pointedly.

Luna giggles again, "we need to get into our robes Draco."
He nods, "You can come to the head compartments, they have mirrors in the changing rooms so you won't accidentally put them on inside out like in your 2nd year.                                                     "You noticed?" she asks still giggling.                                                                                                                         "I was keeping an eye out for you and almost smacked myself," he informs her.

"How do you know the changing rooms have mirrors?" I ask.
"I'm a Malfoy. It's my job to be well informed," he shrugs.
"And insufferable," I mutter under my breath.
He smirks "What was that?"
"It was your ego," I reply. "He says you should get lost before the mudblood hexes you."
Malfoy winces then walks away.

"Draco was very excited about your proposal," Luna says quietly. "He came all the way here to tell me about it."
I look at her wide-eyed with shock but before I can reply she continues "Draco will always do his best and then outdo himself. Just give him a while to adjust and he'll show you how much he appreciates the chance you've given him." She skips out of the room and follows after Malfoy. Leaving me alone to ponder on what she just said.