Chapter 10

Hermione pov

I can't help but look forward to visiting Malfoy Manor. Draco had spent the last week telling me about the size of his mother's garden and the endless selection of books in the library. However, I'm rather anxious, it'll be my first time not spending a single day with Harry and or the Weasleys during the holidays in 8 years.

We're leaving today, Luna, Draco and I are going to Malfoy Manor. Draco and I are sat at the Slytherin table eating breakfast which caused a lot of people to stare. "So Hermione," Zabini begins. "I can you call that right? It being the last day and all." Zabini had been kind to me this term but up until now, we've stayed on a last-name basis.

"You know what? Yes you can,"  I say with a bright smile. "You all can if you want to." The Slytherin students all looked up shocked but then went back to eating. 

Zabini chuckles, "Your smile is too bright for this table!"

I laugh, "Thanks, I guess."

"Anyway, back to the important bit," Zabini says. "First of all, call me Blaize, second of all, Hermione how did you tame the dragon?"

I turn to Draco who is lost in thought then think back to the beginning of term. "I guess if he was wild before we were friends - which he was- then us becoming friends, as another intellectual tamed him."

"And what is the theory behind that?" Astoria asks.

"He's tame around Luna, Blaize, you and I," I list. "People he sees as intellectuals. In contrast, he's 'wilder'  than Taz the Tasmanian Devil around Ron and Harry and those two are plonkers."

The table laughs though were slightly confused about the Looney Tunes reference, "Never thought I'd see the day Granger insults Potty and Weaselbee," Pansy chortles. "Though I did notice my name was not listed as an intellectual, I'm not gonna forget that."

"Hermione, can I talk to you?" Draco says abruptly putting a hand on my shoulder "Privately."

Draco pov 

I woke up early this morning, staring at the letter from Mother that told me Hermione's real name. I'm going to tell her everything today. I have to, for Mother's sake. I was scared. What if she freaks out? What if she hates me? She might think I'm pranking her. I'm still contemplating it when I go down for breakfast with her. 

"Since it's the last day Draco, I'm going to sit at the Slytherin table," Hermione tells me.

I nod absently and then we both sit down and start eating. Blaize and Hermione chat with each other about dragon taming, I'm not really listening, too busy with my anxious thoughts of 'should I? Should I not?'. Suddenly I have a burst of borrowed 'Gryffindor courage' then I put a hand on Hermione's shoulder "Hermione, can I take to you... privately?"

She looks up at me and nods "Sure."

We get up and then walk off to the Whomping Willow tree and sit down. I notice Hermione wandlessly cast shield charms around us to protect us from the moody tree.

"I can't wait to go to the Manor!" Hermione exclaims. "Do you think Andromeda will bring Buckbeak with her? Did you ever tell her about what he did to you in Third year?"

I chuckle, "No, I've only known Aunt Andromeda for few months, I'm not about to tell her that I had my father order her pet to be executed because he bit me."

She laughs, "I'll be sure not to let that slip then, especially about how you milked the injury for ten times its worth for the rest of the year."

"Slytherins are cunning," I remind her. "And it is very cunning to use an injury to get treated better."

"Whatever you say, Dray," she chuckles. "So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"I...uh..I," my stuttering is cut off by someone calling Hermione.

"'Mione!" Weasley calls. "Hurry up, we need to leave for the Burrow."

We both turn to him with confused expressions. Potter and Weaselette are with him.

"Who said I'm going to the Burrow?" she asks.

"You always come to the Burrow in the hols," Weaselette says.

Hermione and I exchange glances, "Well I'm not this time. I'm sorry but Draco's invited me to Malfoy Manor this time."

The three Gryffindors' eyes widen "It's official," Harry cries. "The Brightest Witch of Her Age has lost her marbles."

"Thank you, Harry," she says sweetly then raises her voice. "Thank you for being my friend for almost 7 and a half years than calling me crazy for making a new one."

"Hermione..." I say.

"Shut it Draco, I'm dealing with this," she says. "I went through Hell and back with you three and you've abandoned me because I forgave someone and also didn't help you study!" They stare at her bewildered.

"Hermione," Weasley says in a small voice. "We're your friends."

I picture something snap in Hermione, "FRIENDS?! You've barely talked to me for months and you think we're still friends? That's rich Ronald. Really rich! That's richer than Richie freakin' Rich!"

Weasley turns to me, notably, Potter holds Weaselette back. "You've hexed her haven't you?!" he yells. "You've put her under a spell like the siren you are! You've turned her against us!" He raises his wand "DOLOR!" he snarls then the spell shouts out his wand but doesn't hit us because of the shield charm.

I look at Hermione and see tears escaping her eyes, then she yells "He's done nothing of the sort, now I suggest you run back to the Great Hall before I take 50 points from Gryffindor and give you detention for when you get back from the holidays." The three of them exchange glances then run away, "She's gone mad, absolutely mad!" Weaselette yelps. 

Hermione collapses onto the ground and starts crying. I'm not sure what to do this time. After a minute, she stops and I hold out my hand to her. She takes it and pulls herself up. Wiping away her tears she looks up at me, "So Draco, what did you want to tell me before we were so rudely interrupted?"

"Considering the change in the mood, Mya, I'm going to have to tell you another  time."

"I look forward to it."